6,000 original miles. garage kept since 80s suggestions

misstepan001

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have bought a 650 that has 6000 original miles. It has been in a garage since the 80s. Really good condition. I bought it as is and have not cranked it. Suggestions on what to do first? Thanks.

Start with getting a repair manual. Clymer's or Haynes, both ok. Both have slight mistakes. I like the factory books. Free download at biker.net.
Can be found on Ebay.
Start with an oil change, pull the oil filters, there are two. One in the right side engine cover behind the small round cover. The other is on the sump plate on the bottom of the engine.
Check both for debris. Clean and reinstall. The sump filter is often torn. Lots of us patch the tear with JB Weld.
Pull the battery, get a motorcycle specific charger, charge the battery. Take it to a place that sells batteries and get it load tested. If it passes the load test, you can use it for awhile. It probably needs replacing.
Start at one end of the bike and work toward the other, checking each any every electrical connection for clean and tight.
There is a sequence of things to do during a tune up. Do these things in order.
Adjust the cam chain tensioner
Adjust the valves
On the 70-79 points bikes check the points gap and timing.
On the 80 up they used an electronic ignition, so no points.
This ignition is a TCI or Transistor Controlled Ignition.
I would also suggest you read this, www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf This will explain the carbs very well. How to tear down, clean, inspect, adjust. You may need to do this. Cleaning the tank and petcock won't hurt either.
Now with the electrical system clean and tight, fresh oil, clean carbs and tank, good battery it just may start and run.
If so enjoy.
If not just ask and we can help.
This and reading through the XS650 TECH section, there are links to threads about most every question you might have in there.
You didn't mention the year or model of your bike. A lot of us put this info in our signature, accessible in your profile.
Good luck and have fun.
Leo

XSLeo,
Glad I saw this post. I plan on following the same procedure you outlined here in a couple months.

Great place to read on a snowy day!

For your reading pleasure, the factory manual online for free .....

http://www.biker.net/

Watch eBay for a nice used copy of it. Try to get the '78 (E model) version that includes supplements at least up to 1980 (the G model). That will cover both the earlier points ignition plus the later electronic, plus both the BS38 and BS34 carbs. As you read around the site about manuals, you'll see this is the one most of us prefer.

I am big on lubing valve stems and piston rings with rust buster then oil, with lots of plugs out cranking either foot or e-start before trying to fire it up. At least one valve has been sitting open for the last 20 odd years. Rust on a stem can result in bent valve unless you get them very happy with going up and down again first.

Sounds like a nice find!

ttwp.gif

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the link & tips! Only 2 pics I took are on the intro section, with my first post.

Just came in for a break after driving my 2-stage, 5hp, Toro Snow Thrower. :laugh: We got about 6 more on top of the 10"s we had.

Generally original miles are what's on the speedo that came on the bike. Non original miles are on the speedo that replaced the one on the bike, maybe accident or just quit working.
Leo

Back