650 DIED On The Way Home - Looking For Suggestions

Great!!! Works for me. Thanks gggGary.

I'm willing to bet I'm about the only member of this forum who isn't a beer drinker. As a matter of fact I'm not much of a drinker at all. I may have 4 or 5 glasses of wine when the wife and I go out for dinner (over the entire year). Sorry to disappoint you all. :)

I'm pretty much done drinking as well....that way the breweries have a chance to keep caught up with demand and everyone else can have some!:laugh:

Oh I just use the beer reference to 'fit in" :cheers: I finish off a six pack every two or three months.
I did most of my drinking in my teens. Or so I'm told.......

My oil gun holds the drainings from emptied motor oil bottles so It's Gary's special blend I guess.

BD you would lose that bet about the beer. I do not drink either. In college I drank enough beer to float a battle ship. One day I decided that I really did not like the taste. Sober Tony C

Jeez, I thought I was the only non-drinking biker. Guess the minority I thought I was part of isn't such a minority.

motor oil is fine, I have used spray lithium grease but XSLeo and others corrected me of my philandering ways. I have the pressure lube tool like mikes sells and it works good with spray grease and it works fine with a pump oil can too. Some comes out around the cable but it soon shows up at the other end of the cable also and you know you are done. If I am "rescuing an old cable I often start with PBblaster till "guck" stops coming out the other end then switch to oil.

Hey Gary, what should I use to lube the cables? WD-40, white lithium grease or something else entirely?

I use a mix of 3-in-1 oil and graphite (Loc-eze) powder if anything, to heavy a oil will be stiff in cold weather, also some newer cables have nylon sheathing and are not meant to be lubed, WD-40 is a water dispersant NOT a lubricant after it dries it does absolutely NOTHING..... it's fish oil

cable funnel or oiler
poke the cable thru the corner of a plastic sandwich bag - tape bag tightly to cable housing - hang bag from a nail - pour a small amount of oil into bag - put catch can under free end of cable - oil will run thru lubing cable and/or floor if you don't use a catch can

I use Way lube 80/90 wt for all cables, speedometer and tach. This is a high pressure lubricant used in industry to oil machine ways. It has the ability to stick to surfaces and not run off. In my experience cold weather has little if any effect on it. Most major oil company's can get it and a nearby machine shop might stock it.

All the cables should be lubed.
I use straight 3-in-one oil for the clutch and throttle.
I get some kitchen aluminum foil. Form it into a funnel around one end of the cable, fasten snugly with black tape. hang the cable so the funnel points up fill the funnle with the oil. let it soak in. I speed up the process by moving the inner cable in and out of the outer housing. After awhile oil will come out the lower end.
On the tach and speed pull the inner core out. A thin coat of a light grease on all but the upper few inches, don't want the grease to migrate up into the tach and speedo.
Some ask me "Whats light grease?" I think of light grease as what I use in my fishing reels. General purpose grease like what comes in the tubes for a grease gun are a light to medium grease. Wheel bearing grease is more in the mid to heavy grease. The grease we used to get in a 5 gallon bucket on the farm is a heavy grease. Almost like roofing tar.

Great way to oil a cable .... TAke small suringe thatbyou would use to give a baby liquid medicine. Fill it with your motor oil. Pull one end of your cable ans inch or two out of the sheathing, drip a little oil from the siring onto the cable and let it run down the cable into the sheathing and out the bottom end. Takes a few squirts and only a minute or two for the oil to make it's way down the cable and out the other end. Once it comes out the other, your are done!

Back