650 engine in a XS500 frame??

HappyHunter

XS650 Member
Reaction score
There's an XS500 frame (actually complete bike minus engine) on craigslist. I've seen it there for a month now. Can I bolt a 650 engine into it??

Thanks,
Steve

I guess anything is possible but the question is why would you do that?

Hi nj1639,
why? Because you had an XS650 engine and didn't have a frame to put it in?
Like new list member Cam4557 who is in that exact circumstance?
IMHO he'd be far better off shoehorning his motor into a 500cc single frame than scratch-building a hardtail for it.
He'd have rear suspension and everything!
And Marty, how much will you bet? And at what odds?

G/Day Happy Hunter.
The thing with the XS 650 engine is it's very tall and fits very few other frames. It can go into a BSA A7/10 frame, an Enfield frame XT 500/550, even a Norton Featherbed but they need to be modified slightly. Now I have an old XS500 engine and it looks nowhere near as tall as an XS 650 engine. I can do some measurements when I get home if you'r really keen on the idea, but I don't have a frame. Some of the running gear was common to both and if u can get it cheap enough that may be of some use. Regards Mate.

'Hunter,
If you have a titled Xs500 frame, you could cut the neck off and build a frame around the 650 motor. There are several shops on this site that build frames. Doing a neck swap is a complicated job, but a title in-hand saves you the hassle of a certificate of origin. Short story: you have options...

Hmm.. I'm thinking I am just going to pass on the 500 frame and hold out for a good deal on a 650.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Happy Hunter

Back