650 Maxim Help

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
So the guy with the dirty carbs said I could have his 650 Maxim for the rebuild.
He said it runs ok, but the carbs flood and doesn't want it.
Can anyone please tell me about their personal experiences with these bikes.
Thanks

You're getting a hell of a deal for a few squirts of carb cleaner.

I can't remember if it was the maxim or the seca but one of them had problems with second gear ... or maybe both of them ... but its a Yamaha so the engine is basically bulletproof

Thanks. He bought it for his brother, who bought a new bike. He said he rode it a few times and it was fine, but parked it in the garage and it has sat. Battery is dead, the carbs flood, ect. Just minor adjustment, poor storage stuff. But I kinda like 'em.
I heard about the second gear thing, butnot sure if that was the Maxim. I just wanted to get some tips on what to look for, ect.
Thanks again all

I looked at a maxim before I bought my xs but I have always loved the look and feel of the xs so I held out until I found the one I have now. (I was riding a gs650 zuk so I didn't NEED another bike) I am looking for another project bike now though so I have something to tinker on besides my two jeeps. :laugh: I would like to find another xs but they are hard to find around here and people are asking ridiculous money for basket cases.

we just picked up an 82 maxim couple months or so. i dont have any history with these bikes but this one has about 25,ooo its a good bike i clean the carbs and tank been runing great plus tires and ods and ends.

those maxim motors are phenomenal. i have the xj1100 and it is probably the most loyal bike i've ever had in my life. my father shares this sentiment, and he's 48 and has been riding since he was 9.

Back