70's XS650 Survivor - Hugh's HandBuilt

Punkskalar

Hugh's HandBuilt
Reaction score
Ok, maybe not the real deal ;)

BUT, I am building this with my father-in-law who was wanting it to look like he had built it when he was young.

Specs:

XS650 Engine
MikesXS Camshaft
2-1 MikesXS Exhaust
Mikuni 36MM Carbs
Custom Seat
Trailer Fender
18" Alloy Rear
19" Alloy Front
2" Over Tubes on the Fork
Shaved and Polished Lowers
Goosenecked Frame
2.125" Out, 1.125" Up, 2" Hardtail Stretch
Mustang Tank

100_5412.jpg

100_5406.jpg

Stock Dropouts were kept ;)
100_5403.jpg

Polished Rims and Hubs, relaced with Stainless Spokes (Not installed yet, I still have to true them)
100_5519.jpg

100_5513.jpg

100_5510.jpg
//

100_5437.jpg

Huge grin factor ! Is this going to be yours? If it is you 'll have to find another for poppa in law. Else he looks like he's going to be borrowing it ALOT! Hard for the wife to complain when you are hanging out with her dad.

Nope, this build will be his own bike :)

If it were mine, I'd change a few things (including a full on Hot Rod Rephased Engine) but overall I dig it.

Got some time in on this bike this week.

100_5515.jpg

Got the tank mounted, gonna use a Mustang Tank. Kinda cool since they won't fit a stock XS backbone, so you won't see it all that often.

Hammered out a tail on the fender.

100_5866.jpg

Got it all painted up, and am waiting on the Tins to come back from John Dills right now. Took it for a test spin with no tank, fenders, or seat! It was a good day.

During the final assembly of it all.
100_5917.jpg

100_5932.jpg

100_5925.jpg

100_5926.jpg

Total jig envy!
What's up with the ironhead...

P.s. my beards longer:thumbsup::laugh:

Posted via Mobile

I built that Jig a while back, loosely based on the Crime Scene Choppers plans, but with more adjustment and better accuracy. Took a LONG time to make, longer than all the frames I've built on it combined :laugh:

The Ironhead is an older chop that I am fixing all the PO's "Mods" on... Needed an all new tail section, lots of engine fixes, and the like. Was a pretty well beat down 79' XLCH

My beard won't grow past my welding helmet :laugh:

Looks nice. It's going to break your a&& though. Why not wear a helmet?

I have spent over 10K miles in the last 2 years on a rigid frame, its a common misconception that a hardtail will "break your ass". And Helmets are only required by law in the state of NC, but there was no law around for my .02 mile run :laugh:

That's pretty cool. You need to talk to GreatScott about some pipes, though. That 2-1 looks all wrong for such an old school bike.

I have spent over 10K miles in the last 2 years on a rigid frame, its a common misconception that a hardtail will "break your ass". And Helmets are only required by law in the state of NC, but there was no law around for my .02 mile run :laugh:
Helmet laws suck ... I don't wear a helmet unless I am going to a state that requires them or if it is really cold. ... Nice looking bike but I have to agree with Scott s that 2 into 1 looks wrong for some reason. I put one on my 82 heritage last spring and rode all summer but I am taking it off because of the rust pitting and after I ran it for a while I decided it wasn't what I wanted.

That's pretty cool. You need to talk to GreatScott about some pipes, though. That 2-1 looks all wrong for such an old school bike.

It was one of those sacrifices that happen when two people are building one machine. Actually, alot of the older choppers had a 2-1 like that, but I would have loved to run the 2 pipes along the frame and then up the sissybar :thumbsup:

Back