My first cafe build 75 XS650

lsonboost

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I will introduce myself as I have yet to do that, I have been lerking the forum for awhile watching builds and gathering info. My name is Nate and I live in southern MN, I grew up around motorcycles I started racing motocross young and at 13 got my roadracing license. My dad was big into roadracing most of his life and growing up it was always XS's, RD's, and RZ's so I guess that's where I get my interest in old XS's.

Well I wont give much of an intro but this is my first café build, I have built an XS bobber previous to this but sold it before it was finished. The start to my story is I've been wanting a nice daily to cruise around and ended up deciding on an XS650, a buddy of mine decided he was going to sell his so I inquired about it, his original plan was to turn it into a bobber so he tore the bike apart and bought a TCBros hardtail. As far as what he told me it was 100% complete but was just torn apart, he sent the frame to a guy to weld the hardtail on and that's the last he heard about it. I decided to buy it from him anyway, from what he knew the frame was still uncut so that was a plus for me because I wasn't to thrilled about building a bobber anyway.

Well a week went by and he delivered the 100% complete bike to me in pieces, the frame had been hacked up already, no stock lighting, no harness, no hand or foot controls, no carbs, no tank, and the list continues. I wasn't happy after that especially forking out $1200 for junk. Well I decided to weld the hardtail on, blast the frame and prime it, meanwhile ordered drag bars, a tank, and a seat. I pieced together what I could with what little was there. I ran across 2 75 XS650 engines and 2 frames, one had a title, a few wheels, another front end, 3 sets of carbs and a bunch of spares and small parts for $300! I continued on with the bobber for a bit and then completely lost interest, it sat for a few months untouched and I decided it was time to sell it.

A few months went by after browsing café builds, and since I have wanted one for years I decided to stop being lazy and head back out in the garage. I grabbed the titled bare frame and threw it up on the table, I then pulled the front end off the other frame and grabbed some wheels and made it a roller, this was only a few days ago by the way. Last night I got the itch and ordered a harness from MikesXS, ordered a café seat, clip ons, front master, clutch perch, grips, and headlights so now its just a waiting game.

Ill throw up a couple pics from today, the white bobber is where I stopped and decided to sell it.

I have a lot of cleaning to do yet but Im going to try and get it on the road before the snow comes, this winter it will get torn apart to change a few things.

20140725_195153_zpsc034c008.jpg

20140917_162842_zpsa5a96d12.jpg

20140919_162743_zps5faf4fa1.jpg

Well I worked on it a little bit today, cleaned both filters, replaced sump gasket, new crush washers on both drain plugs and new seal for the clutch rod. Got the engine in tonight, I'm going to try and degrease the engine and frame this weekend and wait on my parts to slowly arrive.

20140919_185405_zpsxh3ocfrr.jpg

When the forks are fully compressed, there's a very limited amount of space between the lowers and the bottom tree, maybe 5/8". I think you have your fork tubes slid up through the trees too much. Better to be informed of this now than letting the first big bump you hit tell you.

Yeah I won't set them permanently until its complete, I had to throw that front end on from a different bike. Thanks for the information though.

I suppose I should update this now, Ive received the parts ive ordered and been working on getting it all together. Im having some wiring issues at the headlight connections running a new 75 mikes xs harness. From looking at diagrams there should be yellow black and green wires for the headlight but the only yellow wire goes to the front brake switch. Also I am only getting a rear running light but neither front or rear brake light switches seem to do anything.

20140922_131308_zpsmallzd5e.jpg

20140926_111856_zps4i74m3my.jpg

20140925_063016_zpsdojfnme0.jpg

20140927_121835_zpsx90svdyz.jpg

I probably wont be running those headlights because of the small bulb in them. As far as my wiring issues...

This is next to the coils
20140930_140036_zpsggwqjbvz.jpg

And these are up in the headlight/igniton switch area
20140930_140106_zpsohxhap2u.jpg

The 4 I have tied together are needed to start the bike and to get a rear running light, I am getting nothing at the white plug.
20140930_140106_zpsohxhap2u.jpg

I've printed a few diagrams but the issue is done of the colors don't match to the mikes xs harness. And from what I've read its common that they have screwed up harnesses.

Back