71 or 72 which is it?

scarface6477

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, pretty new to the board. I have a 1980 im working on now but have another bike that im not sure about the year and model it is. I thought mabye some of you guys could help shed some light on it. So, the bikes reggie says 1971. the reggie, frame and motor #'s match. Although, when researching the serial # it says it should be a 1972. It is red, like a 72, and has a compression release, but is kick start only. It also has the round tailight. I got the bike up in northern new york right near canada. Were canadian models different than the u.s. models? Im just curious as to what the bike really is. from what ive read 72's had electric start ...right? Mine does not. Anyway if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Also, this is great forum here, thanks for the info!

MIke

Last edited:
Seems like you must have a 72.. did someone just remove or disconnect the electric start?

Disc front brake? Those started in '72. '70-'71 would have a drum front brake.

Without the electric start the bike is a 71. The electric starter started in 72, pun intended.
Sometimes when the end of one production year ends and the next starts, there I go again, the numbers can overlap.

hey mike, welcome to the forum.

cant you just look at the serial number on the steering head part of the frame?

also, you could look on the top of the engine case, by the dip stick.
it will tell you the oil capacity of the motor, if it says 2500cc its a 72 or later,
if it says 3000cc its a 70 or 71. they lost 500cc of oil capacity when they added the starter motor in 72.

if the bike has the compression release, more than likely its a 72.
the release lever also engages the switch for the starter motor.

hope that helps. good luck - Tom S, (kyd727)

wow alot of good info. depressing the compression release lever hits the starter or acts as a starter button? good to know. i havnt had a chance to inspect the bike really good yet, i got it way to cheap to worry about going over the whole bike, just bought it towed it and put it in storage cause ive been busy as hell. im gonna go over the bike this weekend. i thank everyone for the responses.

Heres mine, a 72, kick, with compression release.

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 143
Hey guys, glad I found this forum. My name is Steve Stephenson, I live in Dallas Texas.
I just bought a 72 SX650. I am planning on a hard tail conversion with a Pamco ignition, kick start only. Do I need to keep the compression release? Thanks in advance.

hey mike, welcome to the forum.

cant you just look at the serial number on the steering head part of the frame?

also, you could look on the top of the engine case, by the dip stick.
it will tell you the oil capacity of the motor, if it says 2500cc its a 72 or later,
if it says 3000cc its a 70 or 71. they lost 500cc of oil capacity when they added the starter motor in 72.

if the bike has the compression release, more than likely its a 72.
the release lever also engages the switch for the starter motor.

hope that helps. good luck - Tom S, (kyd727)

kyd727 has it dialed in ...:thumbsup:

If you look at the 4 bolt valve adjuster cover you will see a forward pointing projection. This holds the cable. Just under it is the lever that the cable hooks to.
When you pull the handle bar lever the cable lifts this lever on the cover, the lever rotates a shaft with a cam on it. The cam presses the exhast valve open.
Leo

If you look at the 4 bolt valve adjuster cover you will see a forward pointing projection. This holds the cable. Just under it is the lever that the cable hooks to.
When you pull the handle bar lever the cable lifts this lever on the cover, the lever rotates a shaft with a cam on it. The cam presses the exhast valve open.
Leo

I guess the problem is my old eyes.

Here's the compression release on my 72.

Attachments

• xs 005.jpg
    xs 005.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 139
The wiring is different if you want to use it as a starter. The lever is the compression release, and starter switch. The rocker arm is different too. But they carried it over for several year's. I just swapped in a 76 motor and it has the correct rocker arm

There was a discussion about this awhile back. I'm sure others will chime in.

Attachments

• xs 224.jpg
    xs 224.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 130
The wiring is different if you want to use it as a starter. The lever is the compression release, and starter switch. The rocker arm is different too. But they carried it over for several year's. I just swapped in a 76 motor and it has the correct rocker arm

There was a discussion about this awhile back. I'm sure others will chime in.

I think you gave me what I was looking for. Thanks! :bike:

... Question: Will the compression releases fit the later models? And what would be required to install one?

I think I've read that they upgraded the starter and got rid of the compression release... So no need to put a compression release on a later motor.

I think I've read that they upgraded the starter and got rid of the compression release... So no need to put a compression release on a later motor.

Diesel trucks used to have compression releases and electric starters to reduce wear and tear on the electric starter as well as aid in starting.

Think about it.

Back