73 TX headlight missing side adjustment assy.

Saggs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 73 TX and noticed there is no side to side headlight adjustment screw or assy in my present headlight. I compared one w/ a 75 bucket I have and the units are different? Anyone have some insight or parts stash:shrug:

Pics show my 73 on the left and a 75 bucket on the right. The 73 has a more rounded profile on the trim ring.

Attachments

• 73 TX headlight 001.jpg
    73 TX headlight 001.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 73 TX headlight 002.jpg
    73 TX headlight 002.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 73 TX headlight 003.jpg
    73 TX headlight 003.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 49
I went to boats.net to look at the parts fiche. I don't think you have the right lense assembly. In the parts fiche the lense assembly looks to be a one piece part that includes the headlight and the steel mounting parts. These steel mounting parts have the mount for the adjuster on it.
Will the 75 headlight with all the metal parts fit in the 73 bucket? If so just use the 75 headlight.
Leo

You are correct. This headlight as just been "clipped" into the chrome headlight ring much like an old vw beetle bulb is clipped into the headlight ring. The 75 ring and pivot are not interchangable with each other. Maybe I should see if someone has the whole assy? Maybe 70-73 will fit? Thanks for checking into this, that's awesome!

Those clips are an option you can do instead of the ring assembly. A lot of times things get lost worn out and this was a fix. You can buy those clips from MikesXS for the 70-73 Xs

In your first pic the 75 headlight has all the trimpieces on it, just as it comes out of the 75 headlight bucket. Will it fit as it is into the 73 headlight bucket?
Leo

Just reread your post and you said it won't fit. Sorry. If you go to boats.net and look in the parts fiches you can compare the part numbers from the 73 to the earlier years.If the numbers match then they should fit.
Leo

The existing unit looks ok from the outside but has no side to side adjustment as it is now. I'll go to boats.net and see what they show. Was this site set up originally for boats and boat related parts? Thx to all for the replies.

I just checked out the Boats.net site and that is Awesome:thumbsup: There is a wealth of info there on cross referencing parts. Looks like most of my 73 parts are a 70-73 only so that limits my supply. great info though, thanks again!

Back