'73 TX650 Gimme the good and bad

BillM

Greenhorn Rookie
Reaction score
Going to look at a basket case 73 TX650 tomorrow. He listed it as a '71 xs650 but the VIN shows it to be a "73. Not 100% complete but motor is original. missing right side plate on motor. I know that the '73 and '74 models used the counter balancers and there was problems with the 750 and 500's.

What are the pro's/con's on this thing just based on it being a TX?
Would you chop it up? (what I am looking to do)
I will be able to get it for about $150 along with an 80-81 XS400 mostly complete for an additional $100 or so. The XS400 has a title and the 650 will have a bill of sale. I live in TN so getting a title isn't hard if it is not reported stolen and hasn't been registered in years. Story is, it has been sitting behind a barn for the last 20 years or more.

Appreciate any and all advise/comments on this.

We'd have to some pics to make a judgement call. Price is right. I've had siz many were not running when bought, but all came to life with a little basic maintenance.

- for 150 you get at least a good parts sesource...theres not much on the 400 that will be any good for you with the 650

Thanks guys. Spoke with him last night around 9 Eastern and got his address for this morning. He called back around an hour or so later and told me his buddy decided to buy it and he hated to disappoint me. So it is moot at this point. Found another like gggGary found only in a dark blue for $500 but it is about 6 hrs away. Said it ran when parked 8 years ago. This bike is 100% complete 77 standard. Not telling where it is though....:wink2: Might not be there when I talk to them....LOL!!!

Back