'75 xs bike and box o' parts

BS38 float pins don't have a head, they're just a length of (small) bar. They aren't a real tight fit either, if they're clean. They practically fall out if you turn the carb on it's side. If they are all gummed up and stuck then cleaning and soaking with penetrating oil and/or carb cleaner will be required. I usually use a 1/16" pin punch to GENTLY tap the stuck ones out. If they don't move after a couple GENTLE taps, I go back to soaking and cleaning, sometimes even applying some heat.

If jets are totally varnished and plugged, I usually just replace them. It's only like a $4 part and one that has sat all varnished up for a long time can be eaten away inside by that varnish. Then it's bigger and richer than it's supposed to be. I've encountered this a couple times, especially with needle jets.

Ah! I see. Since Fred mentioned an 'unflanged end' I figured they were same-ish as '34s.

Some carburetor cleaners distort the rubber parts. A carb cleaning with destructive cleaner will wreck a carburetor and the owner may never know why. Willy nilly carb cleaner spraying will wreck rubber and wash paint away. Worse case is when this is done to a good diaphragm or soaking a float valve tip etc. I use brake cleaner instead and carb cleaner on the metal only parts. Back in the days of asbestos, copper and brass parts this could be done without much harm, except for paint.

Scott

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and insight guys.
I made some progress cleaning up the carbs last night. Things are cleaning up pretty good I think.
I think I'll be ordering a couple carb kits off mikesxs to replace the needle jets, and some new floats too. The one set looks good (better) and moves freely but I swear just touching the other ones they popped and streamed gas, so to play it safe I'll get those replaced on both carbs. One of the posts securing the floats looks like it has seen some better days, I didn't grab a picture of it, but I'll need to be patient and work the pin out slowly..
But it's progress, slow but progress.
The pics show the remnants of the electrics and other parts I intend to try and salvage if possible. Things look pretty rough. Hoping I can salvage enough from whats here to wire up a rig to get the motor running. I know things will need to be replaced and or upgraded, but really just want to see if the motor has life, then, if it does decide on what needs to be replaced.
Not pictured are the side fairings, front fender, signals and lights along with the gauges and cabling.Oh and the coils are still on the frame.
20170727_203734.jpg
20170727_220921.jpg

Carb kits aren't recommended. They are aftermarket and the quality of the parts is questionable, often incorrect as well. The kits for your '75 carbs, in particular, are pretty bad. The included main jet is one size too big, the pilot jet one size too small, and the generic Y-22 needle is very wrong. It's like 5 or 6 mm shorter than the stock needle so it can't be used. About the only thing of use in that kit is the float bowl gasket and the float needle and seat assembly. But remember, I mentioned quality issues. Many times those kit float needles leak right out of the box. If you're going to replace them, it's best you get them right from Yamaha, they're not too expensive ......

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-168-14190-20-00.html

You mentioned needle jets but I think you meant the float needles and seats. The needle jets are that large tube in the center of the bottom of the carb, in between the 2 float "bulbs". Unfortunately, you can't get the short Z-6 needle jet required for your carb so hopefully you can salvage them. They're a slip/press fit into the body (not threaded) and may require some gentle tapping from the top to drive them out the bottom. But you must be gentle and use something soft like a wood dowel. They're brass and are easily damaged. I just "rescued" a set from some junk carbs. It took a couple days of soaking with penetrating oil, heating, and tapping out a little, back in, out a little, back in, etc.

I would not give up on that wiring harness yet. Looks like you have the WHOLE front brake there. That battery box, could be disassembled, sandblasted or Rustoleum Rust Reformer and then painted with a good enamel. Believe it or not, I don't think the PO did that much harm. Looks like you may have a complete bike with old parts to save.

Scott

Carb kits aren't recommended. They are aftermarket and the quality of the parts is questionable, often incorrect as well. The kits for your '75 carbs, in particular, are pretty bad. The included main jet is one size too big, the pilot jet one size too small, and the generic Y-22 needle is very wrong. It's like 5 or 6 mm shorter than the stock needle so it can't be used. About the only thing of use in that kit is the float bowl gasket and the float needle and seat assembly. But remember, I mentioned quality issues. Many times those kit float needles leak right out of the box. If you're going to replace them, it's best you get them right from Yamaha, they're not too expensive ......

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-168-14190-20-00.html

You mentioned needle jets but I think you meant the float needles and seats. The needle jets are that large tube in the center of the bottom of the carb, in between the 2 float "bulbs". Unfortunately, you can't get the short Z-6 needle jet required for your carb so hopefully you can salvage them. They're a slip/press fit into the body (not threaded) and may require some gentle tapping from the top to drive them out the bottom. But you must be gentle and use something soft like a wood dowel. They're brass and are easily damaged. I just "rescued" a set from some junk carbs. It took a couple days of soaking with penetrating oil, heating, and tapping out a little, back in, out a little, back in, etc.

5Twins thanks for the heads up on the carb kits. I'll check in with Yamaha on the replacement parts and I saw your link for the needle and seat-thanks.
I was able to wiggle the needle jet, though I did scar the base a bit, not the tube itself thankfully, I am going to do the heat treatment and more penetrating oil, gave it a couple more squirts before I left for work today. In regards to the needle jet, I did find this https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs65...MI_5zu28Cs1QIVTkwNCh0ZVAlnEAYYASABEgJYDfD_BwE -this look ok?
-mike

I would not give up on that wiring harness yet. Looks like you have the WHOLE front brake there. That battery box, could be disassembled, sandblasted or Rustoleum Rust Reformer and then painted with a good enamel. Believe it or not, I don't think the PO did that much harm. Looks like you may have a complete bike with old parts to save.

Scott

That's good to hear Scott. I am looking at some simple wire diagrams to try and fire up the motor, but will hold onto the original harness to perhaps re-use.

I have moved from carb cleaner to brake cleaner, too.
Partly because it is much less noxious than carb cleaner.

I even brush my teeth with it :D

Also - from you second photo in Post #12 - I'd say your front tire could use some air SteelSmoke...:D

There were 2 versions of the Z-6 needle jet used in the 650 carbs, a long one and a short one. That one you linked to from Mike's is the long version. It was used in the '70-'73 carbs. You need the short version which, like I said, isn't available.

Back