75 xs650 project, problems getting her running after 25 years.

mkesbest

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Good morning everyone, im sure ill get some great replies... just looking for maybe some starting points. So I rebuilt a 75 xs, hard tailed it, new gaskets, seals etc... new hughes handbuilt pma. So roughly a month after kicking for half hour, she started for a few seconds. I have her set up for kick only. It has been cold as balls, here in Milwaukee Wisconsin. So couple questions... if the timing is off, could that be an issue? Or does anyone have any other ideas? One thing I am doing, which im cool with changing, is currently im running a sportster coil. The good ole mikes xs site ones I ordered aren't correct, so I was just testing the sporty one out. Could that be a huge issue? Im trying to avoid completely breaking the case back open and diving back in... trying to trouble shoot what I can. I did have the carbs built by a member on here, he did say shoot hima call before starting but lost his info. The other thing is the freezing temps cant be helping either? Any suggestions? I have to get some foot controls welded on and a couple other things... im thinking I may have to wait until we get some warmer temps... kicking over a bike that hasn't ran in 25 + years in dead of winter just sounds like a bad idea. Anyone have any thoughts? If your in Milwaukee and care to chime in... beers on me!

TwoMany, that thread has no conclusion... Or did I miss anything?

I'm interested as well, my bike can be a PITA to start sometimes when it's humid and cold, but starts fine most of the time.

Can't guarantee anything but a hairdryer on the carbs, intake for a while really increases the odds of it starting. Plugs, clean torch the gas off them. Check for fat blue spark. If not, troubleshoot the ignition. Are you still running points or is it Pamco?

..... and yes, if the timing is off, that will be an issue.

TwoMany, that thread has no conclusion... Or did I miss anything?...

Haha, yeah, that happens sometimes. A lot of folks put a lot of effort into into that thread, many good suggestions. I could hear all the pilots here cringe over the quick dismissal of that 'icing' possibility. Didn't want to see all that go to waste...

Haha, yeah, that happens sometimes. A lot of folks put a lot of effort into into that thread, many good suggestions. I could hear all the pilots here cringe over the quick dismissal of that 'icing' possibility. Didn't want to see all that go to waste...

It makes sense though, will look into it.

I recently acquired an SR500, and I read these can be touchy to get started. Sure enough it's a PITA most times here with the cold and humid weather (NJ). I do eventually get it to start by alternating kicking with choke/no choke. Then you're golden, once warm/hot it takes 1/2 a kick. (Whatever effort, this bike is worth it at any rate).

Same with my cb550 (removed starter), once it's cold/humid it takes a bunch of kicks whereas when it's over 50 it's 1 kick even after sitting.

They're all garage kept so I don't know, I'll have to make this a science project and try and figure out a way to start without dryer/blow torch/dynamite.

The XS has iridium plugs, which I found were way better than AP63. And boyer, timed spot on (after nearly breaking my shin). Pods maybe part of the issue?

Holy thread hijack, sorry...

Sorry for the late reply. So I got a buddy that's sending me a new coil to run. Ive never seen the winter starting one... im actually traveling for work the next few days so I will totally run through it. I am running a hughes handbuilt charging system, didn't change the points or anything. Its kick only, and shes queefed/farted a bit, I was just wondering if mainly the cold could play into it. Weve tried starter fluid which helps. The other crappy thing is its currently on a table, and to kick it you have to balance weird... im hoping this weekend I can get it off the table, get the foot controls on, and then start kicking again. It sounds like she wants to go, she has spark, but shes loosely wired.

Considering I am referring to it as a woman... is it safe to call her a stubborn bitch? I appreciate the help and ill be digging into that link once I head towards a trade show tomorrow. If anyones in Chicago and wants to talk roofing, come find me at the CRCA!

And thank you for all the replies, love that you get real answers here and not some bs like other sites... keeps me coming back. Without this site and the resources on here id be nowhere near as far as ia m.

So you still have points? It's very easy for the timing to be off and/or mismatched between cylinders with points. And these bikes like their timing set dead nuts. Also, are the points new or recently replaced? If they're what came in the bike then they need replacing. There's no telling how old they are or how many miles they've been run.

I dealt with this very problem last fall with one of the new local 650 owners. The bike quit running on him. It would start for a few seconds at most then die. A static check of the timing with a trouble light showed the light never going out. That meant the points were never closing. If the points don't close, the coil won't build up a charge to make the spark. His points were just plain worn out, even though they didn't look to be in terrible shape.

Now, I had tuned this bike a few years ago when the guy first got it and I told him he needs to replace those points. He never did and this was the result. I installed new points and the bike fired right up on the first kick. In fact, it fired part way through the first kick.

Yes still have points. Points are original I believe, don't recall replacing those, did replace a lot in the motor. I have spark, hooked up a new coil last night and she made noises that she hasn't before... she sounds better but still tough to get running. im hoping to get a few other things done before going back into the motor. Got a little one on the way, so my "logical" thinking is get the heavy lifting out of the way and then I can tinker with It as time allows with the kid. If the timing is off it cant be by more than one chain link.

Back