750 Big Bore Battery

funky

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hi All hope you are well.
Been going through the threads with regards to getting my starter to crank over, since I have gone to a big bore 750 the engine will crank for a milly second the ,,,CLICK CLICK CLICK... I bridged the solenoid and nothing happened,Bar more clicks , will try again tomorrow as I am working....
I also ran a earth from the battery to the body of the starter but no improvement.
I feel that I probably need a better battery something with a good CCA rating...will check my battery also to see the CCA rating my current one has.
I have a car battery which is fully charged will try that and see.
Anyway to the question ......What is the a good CCA rating battery for the XS with a 750 big bore and also is there a better solenoid or a newer one that the standard one if I choose to change that also ...
All the best Funky

Hi All hope you are well.
Been going through the threads with regards to getting my starter to crank over, since I have gone to a big bore 750 the engine will crank for a milly second the ,,,CLICK CLICK CLICK... I bridged the solenoid and nothing happened,Bar more clicks , will try again tomorrow as I am working....
I also ran a earth from the battery to the body of the starter but no improvement.
I feel that I probably need a better battery something with a good CCA rating...will check my battery also to see the CCA rating my current one has.
I have a car battery which is fully charged will try that and see.
Anyway to the question ......What is the a good CCA rating battery for the XS with a 750 big bore and also is there a better solenoid or a newer one that the standard one if I choose to change that also ...
All the best Funky

Hi Funky,
first, try a boost from your car battery.
If the car battery spins the bike over your existing battery is either flat or fubar.
If it don't, the problem ain't the battery.
Problem with a battery with more CCA than the stock battery is that it'll be too big to fit in the stock battery holder.

I looked at some batteries today in Halfords not that I would buy from them I am sure they think everyone in society are earning millions of pounds dam there expensive I saw a YB14 there with 200 cca rating and wondered if that would improve matters.
the loom on my bike is the original and its the last thing that I want to play about with as my electronics wisdom is down there with the single celled Omeba .
I will check and see what I have on the bike its a few years old but if I remember it was about £40 so it cant be that great ...
Thanks for the reply

It is of paramount importance that the condition of the heavy red power cables between battery, solenoid, and starter are in tip-top condition. As is the ground side,earth cable. If your in doubt at all fit new ones.
If your battery is at all questionable, the starter operation will drag the voltage down to the extent wher not enough power is available to keep the solenoid energised, and the same with the ignition circuit.
If I was to recommend a battery it would be Motobat, a little expensive but a quality item.
I hope this helps.

I crank a high compression 750 with a standard size 14L-A2 lead acid no problem, IF the timing is not too far advanced. While rare on the XS a failed oil seal can fill a starter motor with motor oil. Starter has a slow (honestly WET) sound if this happens.

Last edited:
Hi gggGary hope your well I fitted a new seal so its all good i am going to test the battery tomorrow but feel ithats the issue here Just got home from work and its really cold in the garage was going to have a little fettle with it tonight but will wait for the new day.
I was cosidering a blanking plate and not run a starter but will see how i get on with diagnosing the problem
it is the cheaper option buying a 72mm core plug or even a starter blanking plate from Heiden tuning but i may regret not having an E starter later in life .the kick start tries to throw me through the garage roof sometimes i only weigh 10st 8lbs wet lol

It was playing on my mind so i maned up and went to the garage in the cold and i think i have disgnosed the issue 20190224_222643.jpg:oops: 20190224_222809.jpg:doh: 20190224_222850.jpg:yikes: 20190224_222927.jpgI had to pri the battery out of the cradle with a bit of 2x2 batton bloody took all my strengh and some WD40
Now tell me if im wrong first my battery is wankered or more commanly stated F***ed :banghead: Due to overcharging so that mean regulator rectifire also needs changing :cussing: .....What say you chaps,,,, If that battery went BOOOOOOM it would of blown my ASS OFF :laughing::wtf:
All the best chaps Funky

Well what i am pondering on now:thumbsdown: is I remember pulling the battery prior to this one and had some swelling on that to:unsure: ... The battery in the pics was purchased in 2017 :D
I fitted an after market Reg/Rec prior to that battery when I first started the build :umm:,,,,,,so its possible that the Reg/Rec was not working correctly :doh:,,,,,Overcharging :wtf:being this is the second battery which has shown the signs of overcharging :cussing:
How do I check this;) TwoMany may hold the answer but anyone is welcome to answer :bike:
All the best Funky

Get the battery, but DON'T buy anything else till you do a few TEST'S on the system. I might suggest reading through the charging system guide.
Most regulators have a voltage setting of around 14.5 volts. If it reads less than that from the battery it will charge till it gets the 14.5 volts.
The reg reads the voltage on the brown wire. To get an accurate reading all the connections from the battery positive to the reg as well as the ones from reg to ground need to be good. Any poor connections cause a voltage drop at the reg. So if your bad connections cause, say 1.5 volt drop the battery may be fully charged but the reg sees it as 1.5 volts low. The reg then keeps charging till it sees the 14.5 volts on the brown wire. This will over charge the battery by 1.5 volts.
Not the best thing for a battery.
I have a 750 kit in my 75. I use an AGM battery with 200 or 210 cca's. Works fine. I also use heavier cables from battery to starter relay and from relay to starter. I also ran a heavier cable from battery ground to one of the starter mount bolts. The stock cables are about 10 or 12 gauge cable. I used 6 gauge cable. This heavier cable has less resistance to current flow so more of your battery power gets to the starter.
Leo

Hi gggGary hope your well I fitted a new seal so its all good i am going to test the battery tomorrow but feel ithats the issue here Just got home from work and its really cold in the garage was going to have a little fettle with it tonight but will wait for the new day.
I was cosidering a blanking plate and not run a starter but will see how i get on with diagnosing the problem
it is the cheaper option buying a 72mm core plug or even a starter blanking plate from Heiden tuning but i may regret not having an E starter later in life .the kick start tries to throw me through the garage roof sometimes i only weigh 10st 8lbs wet lol
If your bike is trying to launch you int orbit, it’s too far advanced, I would say.

What is the domed module just under the starter solenoid for it looks just like the old type rectifire but with a single 3 pin connector and a wire going the the solenoid ....is it an ignition module

funky, The old style as 70-79 rectifier was mounted on the bottom of the battery box. The regulator was mounted on the left side of battery box. The safety relay is mounted on the right below the starter relay.
The regulator looks kinda like the safety relay but has a green tube looking thing down one side.
The safety relay controls the power to the starter relay so it only gets power when engine is not running. It allows current flow through till engine turns over fast enough so the charging system creates about 4.5 volts on the yellow wire to trip the relay. When the relay trips it stops current flow, stopping the starter. This happens at about 400-500 rpms.
Leo

Thanks Leo I just paniced a bit thinking it was part of the reg/rec circuit ... thank for the previous reply I will check all the wires as you stated onces i get the battery Thanks

20190226_132624.jpg 20190226_132644.jpg 20190226_132700.jpg 20190226_132716.jpg 20190226_132727.jpg 20190226_132742.jpg Ok new battery fittied and the bike started on the starter motor, crancked over lovely.... multi meter attached I rev the engine and the meter read 13 volt and as i throttle the bike it keeps rising up to about 21 volts
it has to be the reg/rec.
I have checked the wires and both connetctors at the multi blocks the 3 pin left side which has two wires from the reg/rec but three from the loom show a slight signs of heat on the outer casing of the multi block .
I am so confused bloody electrics mess with my head dam my ignorance :banghead::cussing::banghead::cussing::banghead:
All the best funky

Last edited:
Back