'77 Starter Spring Clip Bent or normal?

samoran1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
In the middle of the starter spring fix and had a question... Is this clip normal for the 1977's or is it bent? From the "starter fix" threads I've seen they are all straight (unless Ive missed something)Does this look normal? Also, whats the best way to get the small c-clip off? part #13 in the service manual (I think) Any help would be great. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
That's normal for the kick start drag clip but not the electric start one. Which are you working on? Because you don't do that "fix" on the kick start clip.

KickStartDragClip.jpg

Last edited:
Both actually, sorry I should probably mention that. I have only kick started it maybe 10 times in 8 years. It only works in a certain part of the stroke but I have always used the e-start. So I'm starting with the kick starter and was just checking the condition of everything. I didn't know if it was supposed to be straight but the U shape is obviously different. So... sweet you answered my question!:thumbsup:

When you take the one off the starter start with the end of one leg , work it up out of the groove and work arond till it comes off. Reverse to install.
Here's pic. In the book it calls for the spring to take at least 5 lbs of force to turn the spring on the gear. I use my fish weighing scale.
Another way is to fill a gallon milk jug with five lbs of water. A pint of water is 1 lb. So 5 pints is 5 lbs. Tie a string to the jug, tie the other end to the small part of the spring. Hold the gear up so the jug pulls the clip at a 90 degree angle. It should hold the jug without turning on the gear.
Leo

Attachments

• starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 78
Back