78 special

maia 8cars

XS650 Member
Reaction score
New to the site at least in terms of posts. Picked this up from a police auction (drug bust) 15,000 KM on the clock. Tracker bound, Omar's 19" wheel swap, frame in the paint shop and I'm taking the engine apart as we speak. I'm hoping to get away with a hone and new rings but clearances will tell the tale. Cam and rockers look good. Oil pipe feed was seized and busted off the the top tubes so thinking of building my own oil feed line. Anyone done this before? Great site, tons of info, any comments/advice on my build would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 114
  • P8190255.jpg
    P8190255.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 122
  • P8190256.jpg
    P8190256.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 135
We have a very active classifieds section. Just click forum, and it's one of your choices. Someone is bound to have a good useable oil tube for you if you post up a 'wanted' ad.

Good luck!

If you build your own, you need the fitting that goes in the engine case. It has a restrictor built into it to control the oil flow to the head. Without this restriction, too much oil goes to the head and starves the lower part of the engine.
Leo

Taking the head and cylinders off my 78 special to get them bead blasted and it looks so good so far with such low mileage (9000 miles) I'm wondering if I need to change the cam chain. What kindof mileage do those things get? It has a peened over link and I believe I can slip the cam out after the bearings are removed without splitting the chain. I will be inspecting the chain guide for wear and replacing it if need be. Thanks for your advice.

Back