'81-Build Thread-The Handover

1000 grit wet...

IMG_1488.JPG

So here is a tally so far as to what I have into this bike. This does NOT reflect labor (other than cylinder honing)

Bike- $750

Forks-
Bearings- $46
Seals- $13
Washers-$5.50
Seal Clip ring-$5.50
Damper bolt-$8.00
Damper bolt washer-$2.50
Total-$80

Engine-
Pistons-$100
Bore/hone-$105
Gasket kit-$50
Copper washers (8)-$26
Valves-$124
Tappets-$24
Cam chain-$39
Front cam chain guide-$35.95 (stripped at 3 ft/lbs)
Front cam chain guide-$35.95
Cam seal-$10.5
Advance plate screws-$3.50
1 piece clutch push rod-$20
Push rod seal-$4.50
Clutch friction plates-$62
Shift shaft seal-$5
Kickstarter seal-$5.00
Top end washer kit-$8
Top end fastener kit-$51
Total-$709.40

Swingarm-
Pivot shaft-$29
Pivot shaft tube-$30.50
Swingarm seal-$16.50
Bronze bushings-$33
Total-$109

Carbs-

No total yet

Electrical-
OEM brushes-$40
Pamco, complete with advance rod-$284

Of course, there is more to come.
This is just to get it back to good operational condition. So next time you get a 40 yr old bike and decide to do some aesthetics, remember what lies underneath. And if the owner says, "it's got a fresh top end", you better see some receipts.
(I did know this bike had problems so I accounted for it)

Last edited:
I thought of this thread, reading the other one about max budget for buying an XS650. Funny - I came back to it and you had started posting numbers. Great read for potential buyers in the future.

Interesting. I can't see using aluminium for that component-which is subject to wear on the balls etc.

I hate it when excess wear on the balls happens :-O

I honestly and truly hope someone will read this and bypass the cool looking bike for one that is mechanically sound.

Ask the PO, do the investigating, know what the common problems are for these bikes. I love 'em and try to keep them up to snuff. Others, they dont give a shit. Cut the frame and add a set of bars and forget about that scrapping noise, lol.
Bikes dont look cool sitting. They look cool being ridden.

Definitely the right choice. That'll look great for a long time since you prepped it right and used good quality paint.....unlike the twit with the spray bomb.

I used to wake up drunk from the night before and do stupid things.........but nothing like taking a can of spray paint to an assembled bike. I have a hole in my ear from a time when piercings weren't so cool, left side, not right side.

Scott

Did I mention the oil dipstick cap was painted too? I think I did. I think in mentioned some hack spray painted the whole damn thing!!!! LOL

Fair enough littlebill - but everything is generally looking really nice! You'll have a great running (and looking) bike there when she's all back together.

Pete

To correct for the slipped sleeve, is it as easy as just putting the jugs back in the oven inverted on a flat piece of metal?

I put it back in the oven at 200 degrees.
Built a stand to let the sleeves dangle.
Placed a flat file (flattest piece of metal I have) on top and will place a heavy cast iron pot on top of that.
I read that this occurred during cooling so you need to weigh down the sleeves.

IMG_1547.JPG

Back