81 w/o points. How to install e advancer and Pma

alxire

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got a Pma kit with a pamco Pma from mikes. I don't have points. I have read that I may need to get the mechanical advance. I have an engine with points. Can I harvest parts from this?if so what? If not what do I need to get to make this work? Or do I have options?

Thanks again, this forum rocks

You should be able to take most if not all the parts you'll need from your points motor. You'll definitely need the advance rod, advance unit, and bushings. Not sure if you'll be able to use the old bushings but probably. When I did this on my 81 I replaced everything with new stuff but if ya got it it'll save you some cash...

You don't need the advancer unit with the E-advance ignition. You should just need the bushings, the rod, and the retaining hardware from both ends, as the old nut is used to hold the "hat" on that replaces the advancer unit on the right side, and the Pamco rotor is held in place with the nut that held the points cam on the left side.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses, I was a few drinks deep when I wrote this last night. Let me clear this up.

I bought a PMA with original Pamco ignition and e advancer

I want to put this in a motor that does not have points

I have a spare motor that does have points

I guess my question is do I need to take the advancer rod from the points motor and put it in my non points motor with the e advancer?

Yes, the advancer rod and the retaining hardware that holds the points cam in place and the notched disc on the advancer end.

I have the same thing going on. 81 with a hhb pma hugh says that you have to run a pamco on the tci bikes. The problem is that mikes xs is out of stock for the pamco for the tci bikes. so can a guy run the pamco e advancer kits from mikes xs #14-0913 or 14-0907. i would like to get out at least once this summer but with parts that have been out of stock for months now its sort of hard.

Back