81 wire(s) question

bowhoc95

bowhoc95
Reaction score
1st thanks to all who help keep this forum going..

I am bobbin out an 81 xs 650..done except the wiring..going budget style & don't want to buy a $70.00 harness (yet)...I'm going w, head & tail light & starter..looking at the great wiring diagrams on hear makes sense to me etc.

Hear is my question: the stock wires I have coming from my stater, one group has the 3-whites, blue, yellow, black, green brown & red..there is a group of 3 in a stock harness gray (light blue) orange & black...are these my PU coil? If so what wires go to the ignitor unit?

I'm going off this diagram http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

In other words I need to find the matching red/white, green/white, black/white. Would that go to the gray orange & black?:wtf:

Thanks in advance..this is my fist go at something like this so be patient with me..:bike:

A kid I'm helping with a bobber build bought one of those chopper/bobber harnesses. What a rip-off. It's nothing more than a few wires in a sheath - no plugs, just bare wire ends. Most are too long so need modding and all the multi pin plugs will need to be added from the original harness. Why bother? Might as well make your own because that new harness is only half (if that) of what you need.

As far as what wires go where, can't help there. I don't do wiring, lol.

A kid I'm helping with a bobber build bought one of those chopper/bobber harnesses. What a rip-off. It's nothing more than a few wires in a sheath - no plugs, just bare wire ends. Most are too long so need modding and all the multi pin plugs will need to be added from the original harness. Why bother? Might as well make your own because that new harness is only half (if that) of what you need.

As far as what wires go where, can't help there. I don't do wiring, lol.

Thats what I thought..

You can use your exsisting harness and just shorten it to accomplish this. And as 5twins say's, depending on where you locate your electronics, you'll have to modify it anyway.
I bought a new stock harness from Mike's XS for $87.00 and have made 3 simplified harness'. I just bought new connectors. Plus all my wires are new and they match the correct colors.
I have still not figured out why these people make/sell these "Chopper" harness' and can't use the correct color wire, but for some reason give you a diagram of what color wire from their "custom" harness hooks to your bike. Shows how much detail they put into their work I guess.

In both Clymer an Haynes manual, as well as the "tech" section on here, you will find the electrical diagrams.
Here is for an '81.
10703-1981_xs650h_sh.jpg

The only orange I know of on a '81 is from the TCI to the coil.
Black is usually a ground, but the wires that come from your stator are sky blue to the neutral switch, brown to main line brown, green to the reg/rec and the 3 whites to the reg/rec.
The pick-up has a black/white, a white/green and a white /red to the TCI.

Last edited:
Little bill Thanks..Those Clymer/Haynes make me crosseyed..where on the stock bike is the "ignition pickup" found..maybe I'm missing that piece as I disassembled last fall! Liek I mentioned in my 1st post ..please be patient!

Bowhac95... your pick-up coils have three wires coming out they are orange, grey, and black.

orange goes to white/red

grey goes to white/green

black goes to black/white

I have an 81 and thats how it's wired. Hope this helps:wink2:

Bowhac95... your pick-up coils have three wires coming out they are orange, grey, and black.

orange goes to white/red

grey goes to white/green

I think this may be it!!! Looking at various diagrams, The pick up coil the same as "ignition coil?..I assumed the pu coil/ignition PU had to be in the stator area..

It is, mounted on top of the alternator. It's that oval shaped black plastic thing.

It is, mounted on top of the alternator. It's that oval shaped black plastic thing.

Right on..Thank You All!, I'm surprised that I can't find a diagram that shows the grey, orange & black in a separate harness & a diagram showing the connection from PU to ignitor...

orange goes to white/red

grey goes to white/green

Yep. LOL, I had to go look. I have 3 TCI engines and couldn't remember.

Back