For Sale - 81 XS650 Chopper 90% complete in MN

81-650chopper

81-XS650Chopper
Reaction score
SOLD

I have a 1981 XS650 project I was just thinking about selling. I built it summer of 09. Front end is raked out 4" back end is chopped up for lower seat height. Soft tail. Factory swing arm. Buell gas tank (looks really cool, kind of chopper/crotch rocket look) straight homemade drag bars, front brake removed (I have the parts). Drag pipes cut off by the stock foot pegs. Loud and nice sounding. Bike is fast! Very light! Dry weight is roughly 300 lbs. All my Harley riding buddies can't believe when I pull on there 90's cu. in. bikes. Put about 800 miles on then the charging system quit. I couldn't get it fixed, didn't have time. So now it sits. I want to get a vintage snowmobile or two so I will sacrifice my bike. As it sits now the tires and forks are off. I was going to polish the forks. Started but didn't finish.
What it needs-
-Tires
-Charging system fixed. I believe it's the stator or rotor and The voltage regulator that came with the bike is not oem but works. I was going to order new parts from Mikes XS about $450 for all parts new or you could find used parts.
-Seat. I threw together a hand built, hand wrapped seat. It was in nice until I stepped on it and broke it.
-Tail lights and license plate bracket.
My plans were to order a stator, rotor, voltage regulator and forward controls from the Internet and Mikes XS about $600. Can find tires for $50-60 each. Put about 20-30 man hours into it with some TLC and this bike will be ready to go! Plenty of time left before it warms up. I'm thinking around $800 or b/o. I have clean title in hand. *Any questions feel free to ask or PM me. Thanks.

To see a photo message me with your email address and I'll email one to you. I would like to sell this asap. I have new projects going. I have another XS650 I've been riding so this one has got pushed off and will rot if I don't sell it. Would also consider trades for vintage 78-81 snowmobiles. Fast ones. The race sleds back in the day. Polaris TX TXL TXC 340 440. Arctic Cat El Tigre 6000, Kawasaki Drifter and Intruder 440. Skidoo Blizzard RV TNT. Mercury Sno Twister Trail Twister. Thanks.

Last edited:
*********Price Reduced*********
MUST SELL!!!!!! This bike needs to go now!!!!! No reasonable offer refused!!!!! I found the perfect sled I want but my budget say I have to sell this bike first! No major work required. Just install a couple new or used parts and it's ready to go. Turns heads!!!

Oh sure several want it, we're all just cheap bastards and are waiting to see how low you will go............. Well I am anyway. Have you tried the chopper underground or one of the other "chooper / boober" sites?

Last edited:
Oh Im interested in it as well.... just not really do dig the trailer out of a foot os snow to drine up the MN where there is probally 4 feet of it right now to go and get it. Damn mother nature.

Oh sure several want it, we're all just cheap bastards and are waiting to see how low you will go............. Well I am anyway.

Hahahaha so true. That's funny
I know my odds to sell it in 2 months are better just would like to see it go now.
And to twowheelmafia how far would you have to drive to mn? Maybe a delivery could be setup???

I don't think I can sell it for $400. That's a little low for my comfort. I have an offer for $800 but he wouldn't be able to pick it up for 5-6 weeks. If someone would offer close to that now I would let it go or I guess I'll be stuck with waiting

Yeah I think the location and timing are the reason. I know you are too far for me to drive unless you almost gave it away...plus I need to finish the one I just got in Dec. GL with the sale though!

I got 650 and I sold it to my buddy. Since he knows nothing about these bikes I agreed to help him get it on the road and in return I will get to ride it every now and then. Sounds like a win win situation lol. Plus I stil have my all original 1980 XS 650 with a fresh motor only 500 miles on it. I plan on turning that into a hardtail someday. Gotta pay a couple small bills first then go pick up my sled. Can't wait! Get to put some miles on before the snow melts then I have to tear it down to the last bolt and rebuild it to get it ready for some vintage snocross. Then racing one leg of the I-500. It's 170 mile cross country race that this years winner completed 170 miles in 3 hrs and 51 min on a leaf spring front end vintage sled.