82 Cafe build for Rick

JAGspeed

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a Cafe bike I started a couple months ago for my friend Rick. I was already deep into my Tracker build when he asked me to build this bike for him. Unfortunately I had not taken that many picks thus far, but will post what I have and try and keep up with it better as I go.
We started out with a 1982 XS650 special that was in running condition. I made him set a budget and am trying to make a cool little cafe bike without breaking the bank.
I started by tearing it down and mocking up the rear end for the cafe tail section. I cut 1" out of the center supports to narrow the rear and made tabs to mount all of the electronics. I also cut off the back hoop and made one that fit the contour of the new cafe tail.
I mounted up some inexpensive shocks we got on E-bay. I have used these before and they work OK, NO Ohlins, but good for a budget build.

Attachments

• Rick's XS b.jpg
    Rick's XS b.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 286
  • Rick's XS a.jpg
    Rick's XS a.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 288
Decided to use a set of mag wheels. I kinda like the spoke look but Rick wanted mags. Located a set from another builder friend along with some other goodies like the whole rear disc brake assembly a set of clip-ons and a top triple clamp.
I removed the material from the center of each spoke to give it a different look. Sand blasted the wheels and painted them black. Mounted a Kenda 761 frt tire and a Bridgestone TW40 rear.

Attachments

• Rick's XS d.jpg
    Rick's XS d.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 279
  • Rick's XS e.jpg
    Rick's XS e.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 252
Decided to use a set of mag wheels. I kinda like the spoke look but Rick wanted mags. Located a set from another builder friend along with some other goodies like the whole rear disc brake assembly a set of clip-ons and a top triple clamp.
I removed the material from the center of each spoke to give it a different look. Sand blasted the wheels and painted them black. Mounted a Kenda 761 frt tire and a Bridgestone TW40 rear.

i thought about removing the center of the spokes like you did on these, have you seen it done previously? I'm just concerned about the integrity of the spokes.

i thought about removing the center of the spokes like you did on these, have you seen it done previously? I'm just concerned about the integrity of the spokes.

I'm not to concerned about the integrity of the wheel, but I'm not the one who will be riding the bike. But seriously, I have seen it done before and most of the parts from this era were over engineered so it should be fine.

Making progress. Here is a pic of the frame after paint. I removed the unwanted tabs.
Also a couple of shots of the rear-sets. They are from a ZX6R. I liked how these rear-sets cover the bulky part of the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_1909a.jpg
    IMG_1909a.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1908a.jpg
    IMG_1908a.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1883a.jpg
    IMG_1883a.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1881a.jpg
    IMG_1881a.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 201
I put the motor in the frame, installed the forks and shocks. The headers got wrapped and I had the mufflers powder coated. I went with dual disc brakes, luckily I had an extra disc left over from my Tracker project and a left caliper from my XV920R project. I just had to file the channel on the XV caliper 2mm wider to match the XS disc.

Attachments

• XS Cafe a.jpg
    XS Cafe a.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 259
  • XS Cafe b.jpg
    XS Cafe b.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 232
  • XS Cafe c.jpg
    XS Cafe c.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 210
Mounted the clip-ons, and switches. The switches are from an R6. I also installed an Acewell guage to the top clamp. Just need to wire it all now. F@#$ I hate this part, but if I swear at it enough I sure it will help.

Attachments

• XS Cafe d.jpg
    XS Cafe d.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 225
Found an almost perfect chain guide for the stock XS swingarm. For anyone that has raised the rear end of there XS. It is off a 87 ATC200X. I installed it with just a couple of minor modifications. Just had to grind a little off to fit the end cap in, slightly file out the back hole and installed a rubber grommet in the front hole for spacing. I drilled and tapped a 6mm hole in the swingarm and bolted it right up.

Attachments

• Chain guard a.jpg
    Chain guard a.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Chain guard b.jpg
    Chain guard b.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Chain guard c.jpg
    Chain guard c.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Chain guard d.jpg
    Chain guard d.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 197
I'm not to concerned about the integrity of the wheel, but I'm not the one who will be riding the bike. But seriously, I have seen it done before and most of the parts from this era were over engineered so it should be fine.

I cannot follow this reasoning, especially the comment that "I won't be riding it"!

I have seen the web lightening holes and even one slot job from Australia I think. I have never seen an early wheel gutted like this. Ever wonder if the art of aluminum casting may have advanced in the last 30 years?

Don't use the Buell card, look at the load path from the rotor mounts to the wheel on that bike. Then look at the Buell rear wheel.

It's not me or mine but felt I had to comment.

You may well be correct, but I'd ride those wheels. I have never personally encountered a broken mag that wasn't in a serious accident, modified or not. I used a lot of bicycle mags to build horse and pony carts capable of carrying 4 people over rough ground, and these are a lot tougher than those things. A break would really surprise me. I just drilled a few holes in mine, I like that better. JMO

Yeah, hate to be the 'wet blanket' here, but gotta jump in with gggGary on this. A wheel can experience up to 500-600 ft-lbs torque during max stop. The wheels here originally had (7) I-beams to handle that load, but now have 14 thin aluminum rods to handle the wheel torque. I would recommend periodically checking these 'spokes' for signs of bending...

I cannot follow this reasoning, especially the comment that "I won't be riding it"!

OK, first of all this comment that you are referring to is called "sarcasm".
I can appreciate your concern, but I did not go into this endeavor with total disregard. I have a fellow builder friend that had done this mod on an XS and has been riding it pretty hard for several years with no issues. I also have many years experience in the motorcycle industry and have seen several bent and broken wheels. I agree that the newer casting may be of better quality, but I can say that many of the newer wheels will bend and break easier than these heavier old mags. The new bikes also have 2-3 times the HP, much stronger brakes, stickier tires, and in many cases a lower profile tires putting stress on the rims. If you take a look at some of the aftermarket wheels they have what seems to be very minimal amount of support, but can hold up to a 150HP+ and 180MPH braking stresses.
While the concerns may or may not be valid. I am confident that these wheels will hold up fine for the type of riding this bike will endure.

That comment was and wasn't sarcasm. It meant that on some level you know this is getting out on the edge for mods to an old wheel that may or may not have casting flaws hidden inside. I for one have no metallurgy background, just a healthy respect for conservative engineering. I agree mags are way strong as built. A few years back I ended up with some extra "slightly bent" 600 Hurricane front wheels while trying to get ONE straight one.
Just as an "I wonder" I went at one with a 12 pound splitting mall. I was VERY impressed with how long it took to break it. It was mangled beyond belief before it would "break". A how it will be ridden defense is disingenuous. No one expects that errant curb, pot hole, or chunk of concrete laying in the road.
It's your deal, as long as the rider knows what the issues are and is OK with it. This forum isn't the chopper underground we have a rather conservative core and that's part of life here. Please keep posting the build and I promise I will let this rest.

Here's the thread I was thinking about, note these all at least left some left some web to help support the spokes.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3805

That comment was and wasn't sarcasm. It meant that on some level you know this is getting out on the edge for mods to an old wheel that may or may not have casting flaws hidden inside. I for one have no metallurgy background, just a healthy respect for conservative engineering. I agree mags are way strong as built. A few years back I ended up with some extra "slightly bent" 600 Hurricane front wheels while trying to get ONE straight one.
Just as an "I wonder" I went at one with a 12 pound splitting mall. I was VERY impressed with how long it took to break it. It was mangled beyond belief before it would "break". A how it will be ridden defense is disingenuous. No one expects that errant curb, pot hole, or chunk of concrete laying in the road.
It's your deal, as long as the rider knows what the issues are and is OK with it. This forum isn't the chopper underground we have a rather conservative core and that's part of life here. Please keep posting the build and I promise I will let this rest.

Her's the thread I was thinking about, note these all at least left some left some web to help support the spokes.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3805

Hey Gary hows it going? I think he meant he was being sarcastic in what he said about not the one riding it, i don't think it was a comment directed toward you.

More Progress... Got the engine covers painted and installed. Also the exhaust tips were done the same color. The tank and fenders will be this same titanium silver, should have those in a couple of days.

Attachments

• XS Cafe f.jpg
    XS Cafe f.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 213
  • XS Cafe e.jpg
    XS Cafe e.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 195
Found an almost perfect chain guide for the stock XS swingarm. For anyone that has raised the rear end of there XS. It is off a 87 ATC200X. I installed it with just a couple of minor modifications. Just had to grind a little off to fit the end cap in, slightly file out the back hole and installed a rubber grommet in the front hole for spacing. I drilled and tapped a 6mm hole in the swingarm and bolted it right up.

Thanks for this info! This will come in handy.

Finished the build. Took it out for a short test ride, it ran great and felt really nice. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• XS Cafe g.jpg
    XS Cafe g.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 219
  • XS Cafe h.jpg
    XS Cafe h.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 218
  • XS Cafe i.jpg
    XS Cafe i.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 225
  • XS Cafe j.jpg
    XS Cafe j.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 235
Very nice looking build. Been looking at some of those Ebay inexpensive shocks what mod number did you go with THANKS

Back