'82 pre-wiring dilemma

Morgantician

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've got an '82 chopper that I'm rebuilding. I'm just down to wiring and have hit something I've yet to encounter with the many simplified wiring setups I've given this bike. I finished the wiring, and when I turn the key switch I noticed my battery voltage drop 3-4 volts (keep in mind, this is all with the bike dead). My headlight and tail light don't come on, and I got a bad smell coming from my ignition unit. Not like fried electrical smell - I'm very familiar with that - more like a rotten eggs smell.

This bike has the 7 wire rectifier/regulator combo, and 6 wires coming off of the stock charging system (3 whites, yellow, dark green, red). I did catch one slip up after digging back into it and I saw that I had my red wire off of the alternator going to switched power, instead of (fused) battery voltage, though I realize that wouldn't be what should cause such a problem. That was just the only mis step I could find.

Anyone had experience with a voltage drop like that with no cranking or anything in combination with the smell? Maybe Ignition unit going out?

For information: kick only, headlight, tail light, stock charging system and ignition, 12 volt sealed battery (newish, would not suspect it to be faulty).

Thanks for any tips!

Hi Morgantician,
the TCI unit has a rotten egg smell? As in The Devil is in the wiring details?
That's a new one for me.
I do wonder about the Voltage drop though.
Try this:-
Check the sealed battery by separating it from the bike then putting a load on it, say a headlight bulb, and checking for a Voltage drop.
Check the wiring by using jumper cables to connect a car battery to the bike, turning the key on, checking for a voltage drop and doing the sniff test.

Back