82 Special front wheel has gone rogue in the aftermarket

Kmaul

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've got an 82 Special I'm turning into a cafe. I'm having an issue with front wheel, the rim is bent and I can't find a special rim any where. I would like to convert to a 36 spoke since those rims are more avalible. Is it possible to lace a 36 spoke rim on the heritage hub? Or does anyone know where I can find a 36 spoke hub? Or does anyone have any other ideas. Thanks

I've got an 82 Special I'm turning into a cafe. I'm having an issue with front wheel, the rim is bent and I can't find a special rim any where. I would like to convert to a 36 spoke since those rims are more avalible. Is it possible to lace a 36 spoke rim on the heritage hub? Or does anyone know where I can find a 36 spoke hub? Or does anyone have any other ideas. Thanks

Hi Kmaul and welcome,
that's lacing a 36-spoke rim onto a 64-spoke hub?
Well, I suppose if it was a 72-spoke hub you could use every second hole but with a 1.7778/1 ratio that ain't gonna happen.
And I'm sure you don't want to switch to the alternative 7-spoke cast wheels?
{Mind you, I like them. They are far easier to keep clean and they take tubeless tires plus the front wheel from an XS750/850/1100 will drop straight in.}
First place I'd look for a 36-spoke front hub, or even a complete wire wheel, is this list's want ads.
You could also look for a rear?
A matching set of deep groove aluminum rim wire wheels would get you into an 18" rear tire and that plus aluminum rims would really add to the cafe look.

Thanks for your answer, I wasn't sure if a 36 spoke would fit. I understand what you mean about the mags but I just like the look of the spokes. I did buy a 18' rim for the rear off mikes xs. At that time I wasn't too sure what to put on the front and the only option they have is a 21" which after research won't look right on a cafe. So now I'll be for sure in search of a 36 spoke front hub.

Back