'83 Headlight Wiring with Cube Relay Question

501Spanky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Before I ask my question: I have read the threads on wiring schematics and have not seen the answer.

Here's the question: Can I run a normal ISO cube relay using the yellow wire from the alternator as the trigger? I just need to know what is coming from that yellow wire ;-)

Here's the reason I ask: It's illegal in Canada to have an on/off switch for a headlight so I want to run it like the original system but not use the original components. The original headlight relay is just too damned big and I have removed the reserve lighting unit.

My bike is wired similarly to the diagram below except I have a 40 amp relay between the battery connection and fuse panel (5 amp key switch). I want to replace the headlight switch with the cube relay.

The bike is kick only, from scratch wiring, Mikes mini speedo, LED signals, aftermarket headlight.

Thanks for your time!

1983XS650NoStarter_zps04a0074b.jpg

Yes. A standard relay will work for what you want to do. I have done testing on them They need around 6 volts to trip. The Yellow wire has about 10 volts on it. It's a pulsating Dc almost AC but will trip the relay just fine.
If you cruise the auto salvage yards they use those relays for tons of things. In the newer cars they use a relay that is only about half as thick.. Won't fit a regular relay socket. But that won't matter.
Some use two blades of about 1/4 winch with three about 3/16 inch. These are numbered 1,2,3,4,5. to translate these to regular relay. numbers
1=85, 2=86 These trip the relay,
3=30 power in.
4=87A normally on
5=87 normally off.
So 1-2 trips, yellow wire and ground.
Power from fuse to 3, 5 out to headlight, this way when it trips the power from 3 goes out on 5.
Some use 1/16 wide blades and are numbered like regular relays.
I usually pick up a few every time I'm at the salvage yard. Good place for heavier battery cables and if really energenic the rest of the wire you need for a harness.
Some even have a motorcycle section.
Leo

Thank you very much Leo! I have a couple of cube relays and sockets at home (standard 30/85/86/87 1/4 terminals). I mounted all of my components to a lexan plate that slides into a 5" diameter tube (fake oil tank). I'll just mount another relay on the board and wire up my lights!

Most excellent ;-) I have micro relays as well, but would have to order the sockets & pins to use them and I want this bike on the road...

Back