83 Heritage Special Newbie

Broken spokes

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Newbie to list. Lots of good info from just lurking so far. Just picked up an 83 Heritage Special sitting since 90's. I got it running and waiting for brake parts and tires to make rideable. Overall good shape,seems all original. Vin # is 5V400-2-DA-101535.Build date 8-82. Wondering how close to end of production that was? Oh yeah Eastern PA over 50 getting back into riding.

Welcome aboard and post some pics when you can. Forks, fenders, chain gaurd, headlight and instrument buckets were painted black on the states side '82 Heritage Specials...on the '83's those parts are chromed. Last year of production was '84....rare bird in these parts.

Just a guess that the 8-82 build would make it a fairly early 83 bike. I like the Heritage bikes, Hope to find a red one some day.

I have one of those. I bought it new, from Beach Yamaha, New Smyrna Beach, FL in October 1983.

XS650SK_B_zps93081b4f.jpg
Dogwood2007093_zps9e712574.jpg

The dealer had a leftover "82" (SJ) as well. Fenders, headlight bucket, clock housings, signals, etc., were all black. Pipes were chrome as I recall.

Welcome. To the site. Just getting back to riding over 50 and a running 650. Have a fun summer. Lots of nice roads out your way. I put 6000 miles on mine the first summer. :D :thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouragement. Just got the brakes back together tonight and tires are in. Pictures soon when I put wheels, seat and tank back on. I guess it is an 83 as it has more chrome than the all black 82.

Nice bike. My sister and family just up to my area from new Smyrna beach, I got her husband hooked on xs650's.

Welcome!

Back