82 j or 83 k?

kickstart

XS650 Member
Reaction score
my vin starts jya5v4 year "d" last six 103xxx
it's a numbers matching bike with a date 9/82 on the neck id sticker, so it's a 82j right?
but the year code "d" is 83 the engine number 103xxx is "83" (82 was 00xxxx) and it's titled as a 83....
j models ended in 82... k started in 83, "but" there's no "k" in the vin... if it was a factory over run i'd think it would be the other way around.... lol

sooooo, what is it?

:yikes: :wtf: :shrug: :confused:

Mine has '80 on the tag but the sn and title are '81.

They start making the next year vehicle in the current year. Cars too. Don't know which year they begin selling them in. Begin late in the current year I think.

Vin is a "j" though.... the j ended in 82....the rest of the code is 83....

I guess what im after is what differences are their between the j and k.... and is it a rare model? (83 xs650 j)

Posted via Mobile

it's a 83 just like cars the models are built the year before (82 on the tag)
the JYA is (J)Japan (YA) Yamaha... World Manufacturer Identification
the 5V4 is the model number
5V4-00**** is a 1982 XS 650 J, Heritage Special, Spoke wheels, CDI
5V4-10**** is a 1983 XS 650 K, Heritage Special, Spoke wheels, CDI

My '03 Road star was made in October of '02. Very common occurrence. On my 02 SV 650, it was made in November of 01. The whole US allotment of SV650's was in country at the middle of January, and the Suzuki warehouse had shipped every '02 SV650 by March 28th of '02. In spite of modern transportation advances, it still takes a while to bring a boat load of bikes over from Japan, and they still have to wait in line for customs with everything else. The bikes have to be built, and the boat filled as they go.

The Road Star is JYAVP
The SV is JS1VP

Back