A few questions about wiring my bike, searched and didn't find definite answers.

Does the bike have NYLON SCREW where the brushes are???? If not it may have ran but never charged.
You need to STOP take a deep breath and only look at the last two diagrams I sent you.
That is what your bike had from factory Separate REG and REG no need for NYLON SCREWS
BUT!!!!!!
Once you change that year to one piece REG/REC You got two choices ADD NYLON SCREWS to lift the ground or UPGRADE to newer ALTERNATOR.
It a shame that you got a bike with all mismatched parts that someone threw together.
That REG/REC is not the factory one so colors are going to be different
ALL THE FACTORY parts match COLOR FOR COLOR EASY HOOKUP
ASK around maybe someone on here has upgraded to PMA and has the matching ALTERNATOR and REG/REC and your head ack would be over.
Have a great day
Rich

Does the bike have NYLON SCREW where the brushes are???? If not it may have ran but never charged.
You need to STOP take a deep breath and only look at the last two diagrams I sent you.
That is what your bike had from factory Separate REG and REG no need for NYLON SCREWS
BUT!!!!!!
Once you change that year to one piece REG/REC You got two choices ADD NYLON SCREWS to lift the ground or UPGRADE to newer ALTERNATOR.
It a shame that you got a bike with all mismatched parts that someone threw together.
That REG/REC is not the factory one so colors are going to be different
ALL THE FACTORY parts match COLOR FOR COLOR EASY HOOKUP
ASK around maybe someone on here has upgraded to PMA and has the matching ALTERNATOR and REG/REC and your head ack would be over.
Have a great day
Rich
Ok, that would makes more sense...and it explains why I've had such a hard time wrapping my head around getting this going. I've gotten the automotive VR115 regulator like Pamco Pete talks about using, but I wanted to get it running with the factory stuff first.

I have no idea about the nylon screws, I'll take off the side panel and find out, but I'd guess no.

I'll see about finding an alternator and reg/rectifier from an 80+ year bike.

Turns out I'm a bit of a water head. I came home today and double checked and found this -

GyqmRyhkmd7vn16wmpMIf_w_0BzCMeTJK00lPbzzeUGan_Arfm-NhGqYBS8HA5gG1mxCcNnSs8DVl_dDwV1E1ydI_B1AhHtLiwV3oBq86-a8PhfH_hnpx-hlXeS7wGFSqxi1PTL9BFckvyhifZlpMJGAx-7S9lAkx9LCV3VaunZpRGzSQ6B_Q8COJ82-BnN907RNiv8OZaAYqZmN0XLuC-SFbcO18uatn-019A5RDKQ2InrDSzaIRzGC2vW2zJ4y3CB5pja8_H_VKuTP2MpTeB3YgP_ejSKCcuQL5YbhwYcsCgf0Lob0rMnKz0ON89vxqQQqQbxe4yaKP82bQUnfcuW-I10rnl2QB-5tpPSKJPva5LXeK19M2FYgBYEI7j7vlKrb41xw9wFTxHdL3sjjNdmizAT2plyN7wGxrtAfsBa79xDW9oc3XSfY4HqIMfVtzaiNpUgSbIQUqZBZa3oxjLbUCAEr0TNbBtQKPCCE3R9yVEhKtJqPYa7hDzhFjyNyudaLI3PyXcqHjZ2yp5uGbLF0=w1138-h643-no

It looks like what I was confusing for a rec/reg combo is actually an updated rectifier - https://www.mikesxs.net/product/24-2085.html

So...it appears I have everything I need and all of this headache has been due to my ignorance and inexperience :-/

PickleSlice,

I don't think you need a '80+ alternator. If you install the nylon screw mod the alternator that you have will wire up as if it was a '80+ alternator. If you can't find the nylon screws, PM your address and I will send you a half a dozen. The mod is real simple.

Back