acid overflow

cmfb

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
i have an 82 650 and whenever i ride quite a bit of acid comes out of the overflow. battery only lasts me about 2 to 3 months. any thoughts???

The problem could also be in the rectifier element of the reg/rec; those symptoms will result if a diode goes bad and starts passing AC. For test instructions, refer to the factory manual supplements for 80 and later models at www.biker.net .

Measure the voltage across the battery terminals. You want to see how high the voltage goes when you rev up to 3000 to 4000 rpm. Its best if it does not go above 14.5 volts. If the regulator goes out on you, it can get up to 16 or 17 volts..............not good for the battery!

yes yes yes,,,, i,m not being smart,,,, go for a fully sealed battery,,, end of dramas....you can get some great deals on these regards oldbiker

Oldbiker, sealed batteries are great, and I wouldn't use anything else, but they're not a cure for overcharge problems or failed rectifier diodes; they just won't produce an acid overflow to warn you that the battery is suffering so you can deal with the condition before things go critical.

The sealed batteries are a great thing and they can undure conditions a regular battery can't.
Adding a volt gauge on your bike will help predict charging trouble.
There are links in the tech section to troubleshooting guides for the charging system. A bit of searching and you will find the answers to your questions.
Leo

Back