Adapting '72 XS2 or '73 TX650 Fork Tubes to the '73-'75 RD350

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Have you got an XS2 or TX650 fork off the bike?

There has been some discussion on the web about this adaptation due to the fact that new RD350 inner (upper) fork tubes are about $400, while you can get new XS2 / TX650 for about $150.

There has been some anecdotal evidence of success of this adaptation, but details aren't readily available.

Both the XS2/TX tubes [OEM Ref. # 306-23124-60-00] and the RD are 34mm, although the XS2/TX are about 1.5" longer, which can be dealt with by machining or sliding them up in the t-trees.

There has been a suggestion that the damping rods are different (and thus a problem), and perhaps some of the other internals are, as well.

>> I have some RD tubes and internals which could be compared, by way of measurements and photos, to the internals of those of an XS2 or TX650 tubes, if someone has their forks apart or off the bike.

I have tried to simply compare the part numbers, but for some strange reason the parts diagrams at the parts houses are not functioning and are disorganized for the XS2 and TX.

If you can help with this, it would be MUCH appreciated !

Although the 72 XS2 and 73 TX650 have the same inner tube, the front fork assembly is very different between 72 and 73.
Also some of the internals are different between 72 and 73, e.g.. spacer.

The internals of the RD inner tube are different again from the internals of the 72 XS2 & 73 TX

Although the 72 XS2 and 73 TX650 have the same inner tube, the front fork assembly is very different between 72 and 73.
Also some of the internals are different between 72 and 73, e.g.. spacer.

The internals of the RD inner tube are different again from the internals of the 72 XS2 & 73 TX
Well, you seem to be the Man With The Info, TXXS !

So, given that there are differences, the question is, can the essential RD internals (damping rods and such) be adapted or machined to produce an adequate (if not perfect) fitment?

That is, I've got the RD internals, and MikesXS has the inner tubes for the XS2/TX.

Are you in a position to measure up the damping rods (and such) of an XS2 or TX, so I can compare to my RD?

Of course, there's always the gators fall-back.
My rust spots are above the functional area.

156.jpg
Y'all know who's bike this is.

Got the recommended truck shock gators in the mail, today, for 10 bucks. Nice quality, nice fitment.

I've got a new XS2 damping rod somewhere in storage (addicted to buying parts over many years) so I'll go and take some photos and measurements later today / tonight.
That would be excellent !
No rush, as I would need to drag my RD from the garage, back into workroom to get it on the hoist to disassemble, anyway.

Thanks !

BTW, Bob, since you've been interested (thanks), the RD is coming along.
Had it out in the sunlight the other day for the first time, but with a testing gas tank:

RD.Start.Nope 007.JPG

Together, they make a sweet bike.

EBAY.5 023.JPG

"BTW, Bob, since you've been interested (thanks), the RD is coming along.
Had it out in the sunlight the other day for the first time, but with a testing gas tank:"

Thanks for the update! Were you trying to start it? It's really going to be a great little bike!

"BTW, Bob, since you've been interested (thanks), the RD is coming along.
Had it out in the sunlight the other day for the first time, but with a testing gas tank:"

Thanks for the update! Were you trying to start it? It's really going to be a great little bike!
Yup, I'll send you a PM.......

Of course, there's always the gators fall-back.
My rust spots are above the functional area.

156.jpg
Y'all know who's bike this is.

Got the recommended truck shock gators in the mail, today, for 10 bucks. Nice quality, nice fitment.
QUOTE]
Hi 'dude,
NO! A 'gator is a crocodile's cousin and you don't want a pair of them on your bike.
The rubber convoluted accordion things shown on your forks are GAITERS fer fuxsake.

I don't think it is feasible to modify the XS2 inner tube to suit the RD.
Look inside each end.View attachment 114012View attachment 114013View attachment 114014
Txxs,

Thanks very much for the pics and measurements.

In your second set of pics, the ones showing the tube ends, you are indicating pessimism about the adaptation proposal, but I'm not sure what you are referring to.
My tubes are not yet apart, but I will pull them if this idea has some merit.

Back