Akront 21" rim laced up

zzblazezz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody have a lead on a 21" rim with a lip like the factory style. I bought an Akront but have failed to be able to get it laced right. The hole pattern is off. I want to keep that "rain catcher" style for the 21" front wheel.
Would a new spool hub lace to this Akront 21 that I currently have?

the rim has to be drilled for the correct spoke angles, depending on which hub you are using. Do you know exactly what bike the rim came from?

- - - I bought an Akront but have failed to be able to get it laced right. a new spool hub lace to this Akront 21 that I currently have? - - - /QUOTE]

Hi blazes,
first, the obvious; the rim has the same number of holes as the hub?
If so the spoke angles can't be out by very much, with just an extra 1" on the rim radius.
Try skewing the rim's spoke holes a little, either with a small round file or with a spoke nipple-diameter drill bit in a power drill.

Most 21" rims with 36 spoke holes should work. Are you using an xs hub or using a spool? I got a plain old 21" aluminum rim and it worked fine for me.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449969267.556145.jpg

C'mon blaze don't be shy post up some pics. Another member and I spent a few rounds back and forth with pics before we got his HS front laced up right!

I have this 21.........

front 21 wheel 019.JPG

front 21 wheel 007.JPG

front 21 wheel 011.JPG

Apparently off a mid 60's Maico. the bearings are 17 but the brake plate will need to be drilled out it's 15mm All spokes are tight and rim runs decent true now. Probably not for sale. Got it cheap, but at least 5 or 6 hours of labor in it so far

I've laced about 5 21" rims to xs hubs now and have never had this problem before. The last wheel I laced was the 64 spoke hub with mikes 21". Im ok witht the process but this has proved to be a differnt animal.

Just so we're all clear. It's the akront wheel with the lip on it. It has slightly different angles than the factory xs rim. It came off a 1972 ossa plonker 250. It was not a conical hub. I still have the hub and could post pics tomorrow of the ossa hub and the rim pattern.

Gary, you post these pics just to torture me don't you. Not for sale? Come on, lol!

You might be right, :shrug: but hey, it is rather cool. Haven't been quite able to pull the trigger and drill the brake plate, some Maico guy somewhere probably really needs this....

the rim in the pics is a borrani WM2 21 the spoke angles aren't perfect on that one either.... It had a flat spot, dent I worked out of it, then started cleaning buffing it.

front 21 wheel 020.JPG

Back