Aluminum rims vs OEM steel rims

DanW

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be starting on my wheels soon and wanted to get some opinions...If I wanted to go with black rims --- would it be wiser to just powder coat the OEM's which are steel or would it be a noticeable handling upgrade with the lighter weight to go with aluminum rims say from MikesXS?

Define noticeable?
Typical street XS I doubt you will notice the difference. Stock steel rims were only on early bikes or Specials, neither were noted for exceptional handling.

How bad is the rust on your steel rims?

Another consideration if you search here is the "quality" of mikes rims. Not legendary. If your steels look decent and you're happy with the sizes, I'd stay with them.
You'll notice more upgrading the suspension than doing anything with the wheels.
Most that have ridden both opine that the 19/18 combo is better handling than the 19/16, and it probably is, if you bring the rest of the bike to a higher state of tune.

She's an XS2 and the rims are spot on true with very little rust and I do have the suspension done already-- rear I went with the longer swinger with the later year xs's with progressive shock-- front I have a longer spacer with heavier oil and the handling is "OK" I'd say. By noticeable I mean --- will the bike have a more flickable feel compared to the OEMs. I'm not really sure how big of a weight difference there is between both rims.

I doubt you'd notice much difference. Steel or aluminum, rims aren't that heavy.

Back