Am I asking too much? 1980 XS650

Since you're asking, my opinion is yes you are. You might be in the ballpark if it was stock. You're going to need that one particular buyer to take that off your hands. To me, it would be a parts bike or a stock restoration needing a lot of missing parts. This is just one man's opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Well, there's the asking price and what you're will to take for it.. To me, it might be worth it if you were willing to come down a few hundred and it really runs well.

I look at a bike as a list of parts...
A Titled frame ~$200
Rebuilt Motor $500 - $1000, depending...
Add in all the rest.. and expect a package discount.

Rarely are bikes worth more than what the owner puts into it. Especially if that owner moved away from stock.

Since you're asking, my opinion is yes you are. You might be in the ballpark if it was stock. You're going to need that one particular buyer to take that off your hands. To me, it would be a parts bike or a stock restoration needing a lot of missing parts. This is just one man's opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Again, only because you asked, I agree with Jet.

I dint know prices in your area, but it looks to be worth about what your asking here in the NW... but gotta have the right buyer, otherwise id think 1500-1800 would sell it.

I dint know prices in your area, but it looks to be worth about what your asking here in the NW... but gotta have the right buyer, otherwise id think 1500-1800 would sell it.

I've spent some time out there, and I believe you may be enjoying the highest used bike prices in the lower 48. :shrug:

You'd probably get more money parting it out unless you find that one particular buyer that Jet mentions . Probably close to 1500 if PMA and pamco done. For me, I see it as a donor bike.

What Marty said. Once you move away from stock you are looking for a particular buyer that sees the same vision you see. When I watch Mecum or Barrett Jackson auctions and see beautiful hot rods going for about what the builder has in the motor it blows my mind. If you go for custom, (and I'm not saying don't) do it for love, not money. Your price would be a little strong in my area. More like $1000.

roy

I live a few hours north of you and I have a bone stock 81 that I can't get $1000 for. Been asking $800 for it. I put new tires on it a couple years ago. Runs well, but is getting to where the engine is starting to show it's age. It's a little rough around the edges but runs and rides well.
Leo

I live a few hours north of you and I have a bone stock 81 that I can't get $1000 for. Been asking $800 for it. I put new tires on it a couple years ago. Runs well, but is getting to where the engine is starting to show it's age. It's a little rough around the edges but runs and rides well.
Leo

I'm in North West PA, and I'll tell you right now if I saw it sitting in your front yard for $1000 I would do my best to get as close to $500 as possible. If you don't mind me asking what you paid for it and then what you have into it. If your already under water I'm affraid you may have no choice but to take a loss.

Leo

800 dollars is a deal for a titled running xs650.

On a positive note if your trying to make a little on it then I think some tweeking may help. Suggestion: drop the fenders, shorten the turn signal posts, and drop the seat about 3". Give it more of that brat look and I think you may single out a few more buyers. Just a suggestion though... I know it would get me to drop more $$.

I might stuff it in to my sisters u-haul moving van and send it out to L.A where she will be living for the next 8 months. Maybe she will get that price? Then she can just Paypal the money.

All it needs is a gauge cluster, side covers, handlebars, exhaust and a seat to make it completely stock you're looking at $160 max .I purposely it that way. I guess I should mention that the handlebars and the stock exhaust come with it.

Man you guys are pretty lucky. Your dollar is about .80 to our 1. His bike would be an ok deal here - he would get his price. Take a look at these for some recent examples of 650's prices rocketing.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/auction-600258010.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=590101103
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=587534014

A dead motor with no carbs, ignition etc will set you back about 500US alone. Just a frame, about the same. Shit i should start importing 650's from the US!

A couple of things stand out. A top end and a rebuilt engine are not the same thing. I realize that seldom does an XS need much more than freshening the top, but gear heads will click on this. Your first statement is for a "professionally rebuilt engine" Then you detail a top end only. Receipts and a warranty statement might help here.
XS people will want to know if the cam chain guide was replaced while the engine was open, since it's a popular fail item.
"New Ignition" does not say what kind of ignition system it is. Could be a new TCI box on a 1980 for all we know. Don't mean much unless it's an upgrade. Has to have the basic system to be a runner.
Frankly, the "side covers" are unattractive, and nobody wants to buy something they feel immediately compelled to replace or paint in your price range.
You have a new master cylinder listed, but nothing else on the brakes. Sounds like you only fixed what you had to, rather than going through them.
A new speedometer always makes folks wary, because the true mileage is unknown.
Kick only narrows the appeal considerably.

Not trying to beat ya to death, but just pointing out many of the factors that lead folks to think of it as a donor or a parts bike.
While we all realize you have spent some money on it, keeping it running or making it run does not build equity. Custom often becomes "cussed 'em" when it comes to trying to get any money out of mods, and of course, styling is subjective, and a clean slate is much easier to visualize from.
Good luck with your sale.

Back