An introduction and question

Thanks Jim. I do not recall seeing anything like that in my parts stash but will take a closer look tomorrow. I suspect I’ll have to go with option B.

Beags64, I appreciate the offer. I've checked my parts and I do not have one. Putting one like Jim showed in his pic is going to be problematic on the orange bike. With no side covers and stripped down like it is real-estate is at a premium. I'm thinking that a small standalone relay is going to be my best bet.

100_0512.JPG

This is what I've got. Condition unknown but yours if you think it may work.

I think that's an early version of the double relay. '78 was the first year they used the double relay. Here's the one on my '78 and as you can see, it has a single cover over both relays .....

mGg3RE9.jpg

The easiest way to tell the two apart besides popping the cover off and actually counting the number of relays under it is by the number of wires coming out of it. The later double will have a total of 5 wires, the earlier single only 4. The extra wire on the double is a single blue/black from the headlight relay.

Although I've never seen an early single relay unit, from the drawings in the parts diagrams it looks to be pretty much the same size and shape as the doubles so probably not suitable for your needs.

Correct you are 5T, that is from a '78. Also correct about the size, the on my '77 is physically the same sans the extra blue/black wire.

Yes, I figured. But do use one. Having a protection relay for the starter is very important in my opinion. Accidentally engaging the starter while the bike is running could do major damage.

I think I’ll take Jim up his offer to help me source one.
I just realized we're gonna need an AC relay since it's the alternator that trips it. The ones I've been using for projects are DC. My bad. I did look on Mouser Electronics though. Here's one that should fit the bill. 6VAC coil, 10A on the contacts, SPDT, compact and only 8 bucks. There's plenty there to choose from.

Jim I think it's 12 volt AC coil needed. This is from a XS2.
upload_2020-1-1_14-38-42.png

Jim I think it's 12 volt AC coil needed. This is from a XS2.
You could be right Greg. I've never measured at the yellow wire, but everything I've read say it's about 5-6 volts. Anyone care to measure theirs?

Anyone care to measure theirs?
I just measured mine. I believe you are correct. Charging 14 at battery I got 6ish at white wire going to relay. Now that I think about it that would be right because it's one leg of stator to ground. Would have 12 between the legs. The new year is not a total loss, I learned something today.

That coil ohms out lower than the alternator three so it prolly has fewer windings.
A single kick is enough to latch the headlight relay..............

You guys rock!!! :rock: In looking at the data sheets there seems to be two pin types: PCB and quick connect. Since the pic says reference only I'm not certain on which terminals it has. I'm definitely not the electronics type and have no idea what to use if it has PCB pins. Plan is to call them tomorrow and see which type it has. I'll let ya all know how it goes.

You guys rock!!! :rock: In looking at the data sheets there seems to be two pin types: PCB and quick connect. Since the pic says reference only I'm not certain on which terminals it has. I'm definitely not the electronics type and have no idea what to use if it has PCB pins. Plan is to call them tomorrow and see which type it has. I'll let ya all know how it goes.
PCB= printed circuit board. Means it's soldered onto the board like a chip. You want the quick connect.

When you call 'em, make sure they know you want either an NC (normally closed) or a 5 pin like this one that's selectable as a NC or NO

Untitled.png

Well just got off the phone with Mouser. They have no relays like I need with quick connector terminals. The tech said they could special order from the manufacturer, but that comes with a minimum order quantity of 1000 units. He did say that you can solder the wires to the pins but care would be needed so as not to damage the innards. (to myself I thought: "Ya think?") Anyway I went ahead and ordered a couple of PCB terminal types and will give it a go. I did have another thought and that is: could the starter relay portion be separated from a stock unit? That would have to make it a good deal smaller.

.......did have another thought and that is: could the starter relay portion be separated from a stock unit? That would have to make it a good deal smaller.
Yes you can. Here's a junk one missing the covers. I cut the wires away and a gentle tug and twist popped it out in my hand.

relay.jpg

back.jpg

close.jpg

out.jpg

Back