Anodizing aluminum parts

sherwin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone ever anodized their engine or other aluminum parts rather than painting or powder coating? Seems like it would be easy to do, just wondering if anyone has tried it or has any opinions on it.

Thanks for any comments you may have.

Sherwin

you dont want to anodize cast aluminum. it wont look good. the only types of metals that will take well to anodizing and pigment uniformly are extruded aluminum and titanium with machined surfaces, usually billet.

edit: visegrippe says it will work out well according to his experience. ive always had inquiries to anodize cast parts either advised against or turned away.

Did some more research, and it seems that its not so much the casting process that makes it difficult to get consistent results, but the typical differences in alloys used in cast pieces. so you would have to get your cast alloy analyzed(identified) to know beforehand. either that or at least one person recommends it so just pull the trigger and youll know soon enough

Last edited:
well, clarification there, (i ran an anodizing line), cast aluminum does indeed anodize well, with proper prep. besides, the surfaces which are exposed have been machined, or at least processed. from my experience die cast or permanent mold does better than sand cast. in terms of engine cases, i don't think there'd be a problem as long as they were very extremely clean. not sure which alloy they are, so can't comment on brightness.

come to think of it, they'd probably look pretty sweet hard (type III) anodized... (the dark grey/green heavy coating).

I'd like to get some parts anodized. Checked with a local guy and he disouraged me for the reasons mentioned above. I'd experment if I found an anodizer to make the effort.

besides, the surfaces which are exposed have been machined, or at least processed.

what exactly do you mean by processed? because the engine cases, jugs and heads are not machined. well they are but only on their sealing/mating surfaces and internally, and those surfaces arent visible once the engine is reassembled.

Back