anothe rookie build

j_dubbb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been working on this project for a couple years and have flip flopped a lot and i think i have finally gotten to a point where i am ready for my final steps. i was just wondering if there is anything else i should do before i do paint and powder coat.

what i have done.
-Tc Bros Hard tail.
-rebuilt carbs with uni pods.
-custom wiring
-pma/pamco
-other bolt on pieces
-put 5 miles on the bike as is with 0 issues while riding

what i plan to do
-rebuild top end of engine
-replace all bearings
-paint and powder coat
-final carb adjustments
- adjust cable lengths

all recommendations are welcome!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Photo on 4-14-16 at 9.01 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-14-16 at 9.01 PM.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 312
  • Photo on 4-14-16 at 9.00 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 4-14-16 at 9.00 PM #2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 306
there are no "final carb adjustments" after a rebuild. It takes a while for the new rings to seat in, raising compression. Takes a bit for the new cam chain to settle in, causeing adv/retard issues. stay on top of those two and after 500 miles, then you can start relaxing on adjustments.
Change oil often for 500 miles. I like to run delo 400 thru the motor after first fire just long enuf to set idle, drain, clean sieves, refill
start again, checking timing, take off rear valve adjuster cover to see if oil is spraying in there, i.e. oil pressure. . drain, clean sieves, refill
Start up, check cam chain tension, let idle till warmed up, with box fan pointed at engine..
flush again. start it ride a few miles, flush again.
if nothing strange is happening, or no odd noises, flush agin and ride on. flush again in 50 miles. then retorque head. enjoy.

Going by your pics, I'd say to put the left side on the right, and the right side on the left.

Unless having it labelled "AHAMAY" is part of your build plan.

... have flip flopped a lot...

Okay, that explains it.

Some may mention welding on the bracket for a chain tensioner...

there are no "final carb adjustments" after a rebuild. It takes a while for the new rings to seat in, raising compression. Takes a bit for the new cam chain to settle in, causeing adv/retard issues. stay on top of those two and after 500 miles, then you can start relaxing on adjustments.
Change oil often for 500 miles. I like to run delo 400 thru the motor after first fire just long enuf to set idle, drain, clean sieves, refill
start again, checking timing, take off rear valve adjuster cover to see if oil is spraying in there, i.e. oil pressure. . drain, clean sieves, refill
Start up, check cam chain tension, let idle till warmed up, with box fan pointed at engine..
flush again. start it ride a few miles, flush again.
if nothing strange is happening, or no odd noises, flush agin and ride on. flush again in 50 miles. then retorque head. enjoy.

Im trying to figure out how that happened....... everything is on right, i had to take the pics with my computer so they were big enough to see on here.... Chain tensioner has been noted

Back