Another Bob it or resore it post. Heck. Maybe sell it.

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Well I bought this 72 to make a Bobber. It had a crappy paint job, and was very unappealing to look at. Turns out the motor was knocking bad. I just got a replacement for it. So I cut out the tank/coil mount, bought a Detroit Bros tank, and was just getting ready to start Bobin the hell out of it. :shrug: I wasn't going to look back.

So today I go get some parts from a guy and he has an original tank in the original color. I also got every part he didn't need to Bob his 72. I came home and sat the tank on there just to see how it would look. Man,,,I really like it. Makes the whole bike look totally different. Now I'm seriously having second thought's.

If I would put it back original, it would be what I would call a rough original I think. It would cost more than I wanted to spend to make it pristine. But I was thinking what would be wrong with a little beat up, cool old 72 XS2. :thumbsup: The tank has some good size dent's, but so what. I'd try to get them out....Next post.

Here's another wrench in the works. I don't know how serious the guy is, but someone offered me $1,500 for it. But I aint seen no cash. All I know is the more I tell him I don't want to sell it, the more he offers. I really don't want to sell. But I think $1,500 is a pretty good price.

So what would you guys do. Bob, restore or sell.

Attachments

• xs 188.jpg
    xs 188.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 106
If I had less in it than say $1K and the guy is offering $1500 or more, sell!!

It's best to "go for the money." It's the most sensible thing. In other words if you could make more on it if it was bobbed, then bob it. If you could make more restoring it, then do that. If you could make more selling it right now, then do that. Every option must include the time you'll have in it and what you think that's worth, of course. You can also go for "I'm going to keep it." In that case do whatever you want and consider the loss the cost of your fun.

Well there's a new twist. As mentioned before, I got a new motor for it. I paid $150 for the motor and a bunch of extra part's. Lots of new stuff. So I got the thing fired up tonight and it smokes like a fein. :eek: Just out of one side though. Now keep in mind this has been sitting, and I only ran it for about 5 minute's. So it could clear up. Maybe,,maybe not. I'll start a new thread about that.

So the guy that wants it has been right there working on it with me. He says he's not afraid of it. Plus, he says I can keep all the original 72 part's to sell to sweeten the pot. He's going to Bob it. So at this point, I could make a nice like chunk of change off the left over part's.

This is getting very hard NOT to sell. The only draw back is it's going to take some time for him to get the money. I told him if he had the money in aweek he could have it. But if I get it running, and ride it,,,it may not be too good for him. That makes him want it even more. :laugh:

If it's hard for him to get the money I would say he can't afford it and isn't going to come through. There's a chance of course but I wouldn't bank on it.

It is generally agreed upon that the rarer standards should be kept in the 'roadster' style. Hacking the rear off one of these ruins the value of the bike. I personaly feel it is a moral and criminal issue and plan to deal with the offenders approprietly. There are plenty of Specials that make good or better choppers/bobbers. It seems so many young guys haven't the kenetic experience of a good Brit style roadster to know how cool it can be.

Ride like Steve McQueen,
Tom Graham

Back