Another thread about tires! ;)

DB90

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've been checking out alot of different tires and have narrowed it down to two models made by Shinko. Those being the 712's and the 777 White Walls.

So! Discuss! What are your opinions on the two? Have you encountered any issues with either one?

They work you decide white wall or not. I've put on and run at least 20 shinkos so far

Everything that I've seen about Shinko tires have been nothing but good. I just remember seeing something about the 777's rubbing on the XS swingarm? Just wondering if that make them a no go.

I had the 777s on my 2004 Sportster. Vast improvement over the Harley branded Dunflops. I bought 712s for this XS and they seem to be just as good quality as the 777s. I just wanted a more 80s Vintage look. From what I understand, Shinko bought out Yokohama tech and molds. So they have some good roots.

I have had 3 sets of Shino 777 on my Roadstar and love them. They stick and wear is good. Not as good as Commander 2’s but for the price they are my go to for that bike.

Thanks guys! I think I'll be going with the 777's for sure!

Now I just have to decide if I want the White Walls or not:umm:

Well, it seems that I over looked wether or not I will be needing tubes. I have a 1980 XS Special with spoked rims.
Do I need tubes or are these rims tubeless?

Also, is the 777 a tubeless tire??

Well, it seems that I over looked wether or not I will be needing tubes.
I have a 1980 XS Special with spoked rims.
Do I need tubes or are these rims tubeless?

Hi DB,
all XS650 wheels have spokes in them.
The cast aluminum wheels have seven spokes and the cast wheels that will run tubeless have that info stamped into a spoke web.
The rim's cross-section and spoke holes in XS650 wire-spoked wheels make running tubeless impossible.

Back