Anti theft?

StoneAgeVulture

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what everybody uses as a theft deterrent? I've been thinking about it more and more lately, since I've been riding my bike (that I value more than what people think it's worth, I'm sure) I get a little apprehensive letting it sit in a parking lot while I get lunch or dinner at a restaurant or bar

good lord, sounds like the streets in kenosha are gettin' rough! :laugh:

in my town i might take the key out if i'm gonna be away from the bike for more than an hour lol.

i'm more concerned about someone hitting it. my bike was knocked over twice last summer in the parking lot at work.

I put a sidecar on mine. The average thief can't ride it and it's too big to stuff into a van.
OK, that's not a solution for everybody.
What you need to do is make your bike more difficult to steal than the other bikes parked nearby.
Any visible padlock and chain set up will work for that, even the pathetic ignition key locking dog chain that lives in a little plastic box above the footbrake lever. (And hey, I still got mine!)

There are many options for a mechanical device. Disc locks are popular, big padlocks are too, add a chain that is long enough to wrap around a large immovable object helps.
There are many electrical devices to. Something as simple as pulling the main fuse is a start. As far as alarms a bit of research and you can find many.
I like the big padlocks, one to put through the front brake rotor, one in the rear sprocket, one in the 3/8 log chain wrapped around a utility pole.
Then pull the main fuse too.
Leo

Allot of thefts, if not most, are crimes of convenience. Not planned, just easy enough for some dumbass thief to take advantage. They aren't going to hotwire your bike like a car, it will be pushed away by a kid. If you make it appear too tough then your bike stays put.

Tom

Live, and travel in desolate areas, and love it! Oh and leave my empty holster on the seat when I'm away.:D And locks only keep out honest people, if they want it, they'll find a way. :(

Allot of thefts, if not most, are crimes of convenience. Not planned, just easy enough for some dumbass thief to take advantage. They aren't going to hotwire your bike like a car, it will be pushed away by a kid. If you make it appear too tough then your bike stays put.

Tom

This is why I was thinking this, it would be so easy to just walk away with it.

deadchef, the streets in Kenosha are starting to turn a little, being in between Chicago and Milwaukee is starting to have a trickle down affect

I will probably do the lock in the brake rotor, thanks for the info

Gorilla alarm. Barely touch the cycle and off it goes, waking up the neighborhood :laugh:

Make sure you have good electrical system and battery though. It detects changes in current (hotwire detection) so parasitic draws or a bad battery can make it chirp every now and then.

Not necessarily a deterrent, but a good steering lock goes a long way. Some idiot(s) drilled my ignition but couldn't get it unlocked.

Back