Any good mechanics in the Los Angeles Area?

thomasyk

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the XS realm and I'm having a few issues. I live in a tiny apartment with no garage and basically no tools. I need help. Any suggestions guys?:confused:

whats the problem.. i live in LA/el sereno/ monterey park and work in burbank.. i also have friends in west la so im over there now and then.

im pretty handy and might be able to help you if its not to much of a project.

Do NOT go here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...Lzsi05N7Ta1-J5Nkxcc-xw&cbp=11,283.25,,0,10.28

(Al's Cycle Shop, Glendale, CA)

Back when I got my first bike, when I lived in LA, I didn't have much space or knowledge to work on stuff. When I got in over my head I took my bike there to get it worked on. HORRID experience. Months of calling every day asking if it was ready, getting hung up on, given the runaround, asked to call back tomorrow over and over, charged for towing I was promised would be free, overcharged, and the bike wasn't even fixed. Seriously, do NOT bring your bike there. Total assholes.

Los Angeles is a big place. Do you have a particular area in mind?

I live, ride and wrench on the West Side of LA. I used to know a guy in Venice who was pretty knowledgeable about UJMs and Brit bikes, but I'd have to check to see if he is still in business. But that would only help if you are on the Westside

Jon

Thanks for the info guys. I just moved to Redondo Beach. I've heard some pretty bad things about Al's. I'm looking at Garage Company as my go to shop if I'm stranded.

I've been in the middle of a move so its been slow going on my side (no internet). Good news is that I ended up with a place with a garage so I've been able to throw a little time towards the bike. Had some trouble starting it (initial problem) - 79' Pod filters, rejetted, stock everything else. Did the routine and came up with fuel issues. Still have limited tools so its slow going. Cleaned the carbs, changed the points, charged the battery, etc. Got the bike started with full open throttle on second kick but kept dying on idle. My throttle ended up being loose so I adjusted and now it idles fine but has power issues when riding. Any ideas?

I'm in El Segundo rebuilding my motor in my bedroom so I can feel your pain. It sucks but on the bright side my apartment smells like gasoline now. Garage Co. was the only business I know locally that deals in vintage bikes everything else is pretty much harley or sportbike shops

Urbandork, thanks for the offer. I've kind of tackled the small stuff. I think if it doesn't take then I'm going to have to admit defeat and take it in. Fingers crossed.

Chi2 - Any good recommendations are always welcome bro!

Rabbid, I'm new to the South Bay but it is weird that its crotch rockets and harleys all day long. I checked out Cycle World on PCH and none of the people even knew what an XS looked like (BTW they don't even have carb cleaner!). I asked about a good mechanic and the guy recommended me to a place in the OC! Good luck on the build. I've heard of garage builds but a bedroom build is the first.

We ought to get together for a ride! ATM, however, my XS is undergoing a full electrical makeover and a few (small) fabrications. Due to work, and upcoming off-road riding, no idea when I will finish.

When the Garage Company was in Culver City I used to stop by every month just to look at the vintage motos. They had an amazing shop, and, sadly, I have not made it to their new shop in the South Bay yet. However, their customer service was lacking.

Yoshi, at the Garage Company (GC), is a really smart guy who knows a lot about classic motos and UJM, however I was never comfortable taking my bike there. His labor was expensive and he was much more interested in selling their motos to rich celebrities. On several occasions I saw actors/musicians in there talking to him about custom bikes. I can't blame Yoshi- he probably makes some good scratch selling refurbished/customized Triumphs/BSA/Nortons/HD (old school) to musicians, etc- but I want a mechanic who isn't too busy to talk to me. Also, from what he told me, a lot of his business was exporting American and British motos to Japan, where I'm sure he made a killing (when the economy was pumping and not like now when it is dumping). None of his mechanics and fabricators spoke English, and, from what I could tell, they were all fresh from Japan. They seemed really nice, but the language barrier was too much. Several also had that rocker (v. mods) thing going on- pretty cool cats!:thumbsup:

Before Yoshi moved his shop from Culver City, I was in there placing an order for Mikuni carbs and needles. The order would have been about $400 or more, not too big but not trivial. Half way into it, some B-list celebrity walked into the store, and Yoshi literally walked away from me mid sentence and started kissing this guys ass. Of course, this is just sour grapes on my part, but I was looking for better customer service. On several previous occasions the same vibe was present- very aloof. The GC staff seems to be catering to a different clientele.

All the independent Brit bike mechanics I knew in Venice are gone- replaced by crotch rocket shops and HD guys. Sad- b/c Venice, CA, has a lot of Brit ex-patriots who also dig out XS's due to the obvious UJM style connection btw the two.

Jon

My first 650 was a 75. I bought it in 78 with a blown engine. A piston seizure broke a piston and bent a rod. I was in the Airforce, I rebuilt the engine in my room in the barracks.
I now work in a tarpoline tent with a dirt floor. You just have to work with what you got.

By all means - Stay away from Garage Company - Can't figure out how they stay in business. They treat everyone like crap, even my A list boss, whose bike sat there for 8 months with nothing done to it, even though he was ready to pay whatever it took. My own personal experience was much akin to Chi2, treated with disregard and lack of interest. That said, the showroom is fascinating with lots of NOS stuff everywhere and a few dozen WAY overpriced bikes on the floor. None of which i would trust to be mechanically sound however.

The GC staff seems to be catering to a different clientele.

ya think ?

By all means - Stay away from Garage Company - Can't figure out how they stay in business. They treat everyone like crap, even my A list boss, whose bike sat there for 8 months with nothing done to it, even though he was ready to pay whatever it took. My own personal experience was much akin to Chi2, treated with disregard and lack of interest. That said, the showroom is fascinating with lots of NOS stuff everywhere and a few dozen WAY overpriced bikes on the floor. None of which i would trust to be mechanically sound however.

nice first post dood

whose your "A list boss" btw ?

A trick I used to use sometimes for auto bodywork was walk over to the bays and ask a likely looking tech if he wants to do the work at home on his own. He gets more money, you spend less money. And it won't sit at his house any longer than the job takes.

PS Leo, sounds like you should get back in the Air Force :) j/k - at least you have something over your head, unlike me.

Somewhat old post but I figured I throw this out there. My old man showed me this shop by his house. Lots of vintage bike stuff here. Certainly worth look for anyone in the area.

Century Motorcycles
1640 South Pacific Avenue, San Pedro, CA 90731-4796 (310) 832-6190 ‎

Google Link

XSLeo,When I was in the USAF, I too built a cyclemotor in my room. Why yes I had the room to myself.. for a while.. It was a Honda CB77 (305) motor. Must have done something right cuz it did run. That was '77-78 time frame.. Now it's the back yard or covered patio.

Back