Make Offer - Any interest in a TLS faux XS1 front wheel?

Just Plain Bill

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
A few months ago I thought I'd like to have a XS1 front wheel, laced to a shouldered aluminum rim (to match the rear wheel). Didn't want to pay asking prices for a clapped out wheel so when I learned that many mid to late 60's two stroke Yamaha's used a twin leading shoe brake but without the "racing" features of the XS1 wheel and I thought that would be a good project. What I didn't know until I was in so deep to the project that I'd need mountain climbing gear to get out, is that the XS650 rims will not lace up with the early Yamaha wheel hubs. So this is what I came up with:

The hub and brake panel are '69 R3 and have been polished, new bearings installed, spokes are new heavy duty and the rim is a used, 1.60 x 19 DID with the chrome in excellent condition. The black circles are specially made gel caps glued to the hub. Rim has less than 0.010" lateral run-out and less than 0.040" radial run-out (0.080" is maximum allowable). Wheel comes with spacers to suit 35mm forks, either XS650 or SR500 (as shown) and the brake panel has been modified to allow a brake stay bar (included) from the right fork slider to to the brake panel. Brake shoes are usable but will need to be replaced soon (use EBC 513 or Versah VB206 shoes same as XS360/400's). The tire is not included - it's an ancient 3.25-19 and with the narrow rim, you should use a 3.00-19.

Also not included are a speedometer cable or brake cable. I recommend using a brake lever and cable from a China scooter or bike - with a brake light switch. I'm not sure what to do about a speedometer cable - the XS1 cable will fit the hub and speedometer body, but might not be long enough to reach the speedometer in the stock position.

If someone has fork legs with the caliper mounts shaved off, I think the wheel would look really outstanding!

I'm in Carson City NV, accept PayPal and usually ship with FedEx. I can email or post more photos if needed.

Bill

Attachments

• DSCN7175.jpg
    DSCN7175.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN7179.jpg
    DSCN7179.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN7184.jpg
    DSCN7184.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCN7186.jpg
    DSCN7186.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 133
OK,, I know its make offer but it just helps me if I know you have a number you want. Thank you,, beautiful tire,, on my wish list for sure.

Back