Anyone ever own a BSA?

29346_(3-18-2017 16-52-4)(2592x1944).JPG
A guy I worked with has a MX-500 he wants a grand for. Been debating for 2yrs on whether to pull the trigger on it or not....
73 or 74 (Silver and Black or Yellow and Black) ?
I have a 73 and love it.

BSA 1.jpg BSA wash.jpg BSA frame.jpg BSA frame 3.jpg Scored this beauty.... in the ruff.... off a regional auction.... 224 miles from my door... between the cost... fees.. always fees.. gas... coffee and my fig newtons.. $480.oo... All the auction guys would say... found in grandma's garage.... last plated 79'.... one thing the auction listing seemed to " forget "... engine doesn't turn over. A visit to the car wash removed most of the grud .... I have a 40's M-20... 90% complete....sitting ..waiting .... my buddy who knows BSA twins.... and all their faults... said... he'd rebuild my engine.. split the cases and address the known crank bushing.... for the M-20.... :)

Last edited:
Bumping along dirt roads in the panhandle of Idaho while trying to find my sister's tepee. (70's counter-culture, she gave birth in that tepee), beside the "road" sat a triumph street twin, parts piled around it, head off, open to the sky, everything covered in a thick layer of road grit. A "typical" British bike owner? Funny the things we remember 50 years on.

Bumping along dirt roads in the panhandle of Idaho while trying to find my sister's tepee. (70's counter-culture, she gave birth in that tepee), beside the "road" sat a triumph street twin, parts piled around it, head off, open to the sky, everything covered in a thick layer of road grit. A "typical" British bike owner? Funny the things we remember 50 years on.

....there's definitely a story behind that old motorcycle.....

Never owned a BSA, but sold a couple for the Champaign, IL shop. We didn't let customers take the controls for test rides, we fired up the bikes and put 'em on the bitch seat if they wanted a demo. I always looked forward to runs on the Rocket III but dreaded the day when a customer would ask for a spin on a Victor; I could never get the timing drill right on the compression release. I got lucky, that day never rolled around.

....aaaaaanddd, Mother Honda just popped this tastey little morsel out of the easy-bake oven.....

Wouldn't that be fun as a 650cc single thumper?

....sort of like a Mazda Miata: all the fun of driving a British sports car with none of the pain of owning a British sports car.

Last edited:
Back