Anyone have an idea what these bits of metal are in the bottom of my engine?

samosi

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm pretty new around here, though after a year of snooping around on here has helped me get the xs I bought in a box of bits up and somewhat running, so thanks y'all for that, such a great site with endless info, good work!
Just trying to sort a slipping clutch and cap off the starter when I found these pieces of ferrous metal, in the starter gears compartment, looks to be a clip of some sort? The two small bits to the left are plastic. Any help appreciated! Cheers.

Attachments

• 15033209469001825120835.jpg
    15033209469001825120835.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 1503321054678661249231.jpg
    1503321054678661249231.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 94
Thanks for the replys guys, greatly appreciated. This all adds up, as my dipstick doesn't have a flattened end on it, and I'm guessing it should? Also when I put the correct voume of oil as per the book it didn't even register on the dipstick.
I take it this also means it's time for a new camchain guide?
Thanks again!

Easy to put the dip stick in slightly off center with the result you see. And that cover is right about where the end of the stick is when it's attached. Some slivers off the front cam guide aren't a game over deal, The guide has edges that get thin and can break off no big deal. This would be a good time to pull your sump and side filter if you haven't yet.

Now that the cover is off, can you see the end of the dip stick hanging down into the housing? It should be sticking down through a hole in the case in the upper right corner .....

B0bwywv.jpg

Easy to put the dip stick in slightly off center with the result you see. And that cover is right about where the end of the stick is when it's attached. Some slivers off the front cam guide aren't a game over deal, The guide has edges that get thin and can break off no big deal. This would be a good time to pull your sump and side filter if you haven't yet.
Thank for your help Gary, yup have all ready done the filters, might check them again now though..

Now that the cover is off, can you see the end of the dip stick hanging down into the housing? It should be sticking down through a hole in the case in the upper right corner .....
Right on, thanks for the photo.. Looks like I need a new dipstick!! Also explains why it wasnt reading any oil too haha, cheers for your help!
B0bwywv.jpg

If you hear grinding, slapping, and the oil starts to look like metallic paint THAT'S game over time LOL
Not sure if we have any go no go cam chain adjuster pics for when you've lost or worn through the front guide black insert.

I've never seen one worn through. Usually the whole rubber strip just falls right off, lol. Found a couple like that already. It doesn't get a chance to wear through, it falls off first.

Back