Anyone paint their heads?

rugbytiger

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at refreshing the original black paint on my headers. I was wondering what you all have used and what kinds of results you've had. I'm thinking about using the duplicolor high temp engine enamel, but I'm open to ideas.

Are you talking cylinder head or exhaust? Must be talking cylinder head on a heritage or something. I think a lot of paints will work. Any quality high temp paint should do the trick with the correct prep work since the cylinder head doesn't really get that hot. By that I mean in the mid 200's (Fahrenheit) which high temp paints should handle.

Yeah, sorry should have specified. I am talking the cylinder heads. The PO decided to do a crappy flat black paint job over the entire engine. I have most of the engine stripped and I just want to touch up the heads and make them look nice with a new coat of gloss black.

Try "Stove Black" if you want them black .
Heat resistant flat black ... Ive not used it but some use it in restoration
projects ... oops only flat black ... sorry

The word headers is what was kind of throwing me off. The words original paint gave it away though that you were talking about the cylinder head.

Picture004-vi.jpg

i used dupli-color hi-temp black. sanded the paint off the fins.

Local fleet store has semi gloss high heat black now. looks darned close to the stock black. I generally just spray into the can cap and then brush it on. Two coats and it looks good to me. I use carb cleaner to clean the brushes. That's my standard touch up technique, not real fancy but perfect for bikes that are ridden.

Angus, that's exactly what I'm going for, what did you use to polish the engine case so shiny?

I never thought about brusing it on. I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to do a touch up.

i used scotch-brite from harbor frieght. just when round and round till it looked all satinee.
its all polished now tho

@Angus:
Looks awsome! :thumbsup: I'm planning to do the same thing to one of my engines.

What do you mean with Scoth-Brite? I think of like spunges with one spunge side and a green rough side, but I know they make many diffrent products.
Can you post a picture, link or a part number so I can try find it here in Sweden.

/Patrik

Well I did have a horse kick the vet in the head and it kinda looked like that, but more of a reddish purple shade! Being a vet it didn't bother her, though she did sit down rather abruptly.

What do you mean with Scoth-Brite? I think of like spunges with one spunge side and a green rough side, but I know they make many diffrent products.
Can you post a picture, link or a part number so I can try find it here in Sweden.

/Patrik

3M part#s 07448 or 07447. Parts stores here sell em in 3 packs too or try hardware stores...Imagine the scrubbing pad without the sponge.

Alright, so I'm pretty much a newb at putting an engine back together. I'm pretty much of the mindset that if I take something apart I'll just keep trying to fit it back together until I get it right. I finally figured out why my cylinder heads weren't going back on right and now that I've got that fixed I'm ready for paint.

I'm thinking the best way to prep it is to put all the covers on. Stick some big corks in the carb and exhaust ports and go to town at the carwash. This would do a good job of getting a majority of the grime off that I can't hit with a brush. I'm kind of ocd about clean and I can't find the right size brushes to get up in the cracks and crevices underneath the engine. As long as I leave the electronics out and dry it out good with an air compressor does anyone think it'd cause any issues?

Back