Anyone paint their heads?

I had pretty good luck with degreaser and an old hair brush. The bristles are long enough to reach deep into the fins on the lower cases and the head and such.

I tried VHT Barrel paint. Kind of hard to find. Seen it on ebay. I special ordered mine from a local Sherwin Williams automotive paint supply store. Made for painting motorcycle jugs. Came out okay but the gloss was inconsistent. It was from satin to semi gloss depending on how thick it went on. Hard to get an even coat while shooting in and around all the fins and pockets of the head. So far it is holding up well. I am not a fan of the BBQ hi heat stuff. It likes to rub off and leaves scuff marks anywhere you hit it. The port areas next to the exhaust pipes get pretty damn hot so stick with a motor paint that is rated for the temps.

I sanded down and polished the fin edges before painting and while the paint was still tacky I took a rag on my finger tip and soaked it with acetone. A quick wipe took the black right off. Do your sanding and polishing before the painting and you can save the cursing of trying to sand the paint off later and scratching your fresh work.

XSGTbuild00062.jpg

PPG DP90 epoxy primer in black. Good stuff. Almost indestructible. Has a nice satin finish.

Attachments

• rsz engine.jpg
    rsz engine.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 210
The BBQ paint sucks. I tested that on a couple of parts and TwoJugs is totally right about the scuffing. In no time at all it looks like ass.

Back