Anyone tried dealing with this?

Dastommy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
null-1.jpg

I believe it's tar but not entirely sure. It's got a little bit of a glaze and rock hard. Tried using Goof Off but it didn't do a thing.:banghead: Any suggestions on how to get it off without ruining the chrome?

Ha. That looks like when I melt my cover on my head pipes. If it's really tar, gas should dissolve it.

You can use a brass brush on chrome, as long as it's solid brass.

Soak a rag with MEK and lay it on there. It will come off. It would be best if you wear rubber gloves when you do this. It's going to wipe right off!

Thanks! MEK? Never dealt with that stuff. Any retail chain store I can pick it up at? Will try the brush first.

Scrape most of it off first. Here's a trick to do that without scratching the chrome. Go to your local building store pick out a few counter top samples, they are free. Grind or file a bevel on the edge like a chisel. use that to scrape off the gunk. Then soften whats left with stripper, the good stuff has MEK, a dangerous chemical. Even a real brass brush will put some scratches in chrome.
Finish up with red or blue buffing compound on a cotton wheel, it will look like new.

Just my experience (and surprise) Yeah there are a lot of "fake" brass brushes out there this wasn't fake. And yes it was the very shiney exhaust on my Honda Shadow, Walmart bag fell on it. The fine compound removed the scratches.

Get some No.7 chrome cleaner. Best stuff on the planet. Dibbles used to carry it, if not, I've got some. But yes, scraping the large build-ups off 1st is best. Even your finger nail may do.

A word of warning on MEK. Its very bad for you, known to cause cancer, etc. I would suggest a respirator... but there your lungs.

Pull the tank and see if anything's melting up there.

(My first image: small child, standing very close to bike, holding ice cream cone, tipped at 45° angle)

I had a similar issue. Scrapped off what I could then used "0000" steel wool with chrome polish. Came up like new

not kiddin, man MEK is serious nasty shit. Do everything else suggested. If those don't work, MEK. Try to get as close to a HAZMAT suit as you can get. god help you if it gets in your eyes. The vapor alone will melt your lungs.
Everything these days causes cancer. But you know what gives cancer, cancer? MEK.

not kiddin, man MEK is serious nasty shit. Do everything else suggested. If those don't work, MEK. Try to get as close to a HAZMAT suit as you can get. god help you if it gets in your eyes. The vapor alone will melt your lungs.
Everything these days causes cancer. But you know what gives cancer, cancer? MEK.

It's all on the MSDS.

Routes of Entry: Absorbed through skin. Dermal contact. Eye contact. Inhalation.
Toxicity to Animals:
WARNING: THE LC50 VALUES HEREUNDER ARE ESTIMATED ON THE BASIS OF A 4-HOUR EXPOSURE. Acute oral
toxicity (LD50): 2737 mg/kg [Rat]. Acute dermal toxicity (LD50): 6480 mg/kg [Rabbit]. Acute toxicity of the vapor (LC50): 32000
mg/m3 4 hours [Mouse].
Chronic Effects on Humans:
MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for bacteria and/or yeast. TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Classified POSSIBLE for human.
May cause damage to the following organs: gastrointestinal tract, upper respiratory tract, skin, eyes, central nervous system
(CNS).
Other Toxic Effects on Humans: Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of ingestion, of inhalation (lung
irritant).
Special Remarks on Toxicity to Animals: Not available.
Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans: May cause birth defects based on animal dats. Embryotoxic and/or
foetotoxic in animal.
Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans:
Acute Potential Health Effects: Skin: Causes skin irritation. May be absorbed through the skin. Eyes: Causes eye irritation.
Inhalation: Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous effects characterized by headache, dizziness,
unconsciousness, and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation and affects the sense organs. May affect the liver and urinary
system. Ingestion: Causes gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May affect the liver. Chronic
Potential Health Effects: Chronic inhalation may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation. Prolonged or repeated skin
contact may cause defatting and dermatitis.

You don't want to be drinkin' this stuff or huffing it to get high! :wtf:

Back