Are my head and valve cover ruined??

terminus

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my head, cover, jugs, and cases back from blasting.
Despite asking for soda blasting, they were bead blasted, including the seats for the cam bearings. I've attached a couple of pictures.
Is this going to ruin the head and cover?
Thanks for any help,

Terminus

Attachments

• IMG_0488[1].jpg
    IMG_0488[1].jpg
    179 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0486[1].jpg
    IMG_0486[1].jpg
    180 KB · Views: 203
Shouldn't be a problem. roller bearings go there. The only advise to you is don't go to that blaster again.
Should have pitched a fit, and said they were ruined. may not have to pay.

Anytime anything goes anywhere, each part gets a wired tag with your name, phone # and the service you EXPECT to be performed.
Scrounged about 5,000 wired cardboard tags off flea bay a few years ago cheap and have used several hundred so far. It's great when I see a part three years later and I know what the heck it came of off.

My advice would be to clean those parts very well by boiling them in water. Here's the problem with bead blasting alloy internal engine surfaces - the glass beads embed into the alloy and don't wash out. However, when the motor heats up and expands, the glass beads are released into your motor. This can wreak havoc in there. A place that does engine stuff should know this.

The only way the cam bearing surfaces could have been hurt is if the bead blasting removed metal from those surfaces. It would have to be enough metal to let the bearings spin in the seats. Being roller bearings it would have to get pretty sloppy before that would happen.
Leo

Thanks for the replies.

I did get the blasting done for free, due to the fact that it took the guy seven months to get to it. Not that it mattered too much, it was a cold Vermont winter.

I haven't checked out the rest of the engine yet, who knows how well it was protected.
A huge mistake on my part to have taken it to this place, but live and learn.
Now I have to learn how to clean up the mess. Is the boiling a DIY kind of thing, or is there more to it than just putting the parts in a pan and boiling them?
How should I follow up the boiling? Compressed air through all the passages?
Anything else I should know?

Thanks again everyone, at least I know the top end isn't ruined.

I'd do it just like I do when I clean cases and heads etc. Fill up a giant was tub with boiling water from the kettle and tap, dump in some spray nine and grab your heavy rubber gloves and plastic scrubby brush and go to town.

Actually....last pots I washed it was hot enough to drop the liners right out of em.

Posted via Mobile

will oil seep thru the now rough surface were the cam bearing goes?
I know there is a o-ring and gasket for the points/advance housing, but could it?

Main problem is going to be the embedded shattered beads. Do as 5twins says. Make sure you check and double check holes and hard to get a locations. After boiling I would wash them several times with a scrub brush and dawn in hot water. When I do my parts I blank off all holes and use wood covers to prevent glass beads from entering the inside parts of the engine. I also use plumbers putty to plug off areas I do not want blasted.

Oil is going to get through the bearing itself. It's the seal, O-ring and gasket that's going to seal up the area. All that and the yamabond at the mateing surfaces.

The worst thing is that I told the guy I wanted it soda blasted. But apparently they knew better, and bead blasted it.
Next time I'll have everything blocked off before I take it in.

cra-z1 - I've never seen walking dead. Maybe have to catch a few episodes while I'm scrubbing my engine!

If you start to watch Walking Dead,you need to start from the beginning year. Terminus is a compound occupied by some unscrupulous people they come across in year 4 I think. A little gory but it grows on you.

Back