Are there fewer XS650’s around now?

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Im just curious , for some of you that have been around this scene longer, does it seem to you that the pool is shrinking? It would seem to me to be inevitable, time and attrition takes its toll. The pool of functioning or salvageable bikes will have to shrink. There was a finite amount of bikes to begin with.
I was big into the British bike scene and I saw it happen there. The once plentiful BSA’s and Triumphs become scarcer and scarcer and Norton’s? Forget about it!
I think we are on the verge of that with the Yamaha’s right now. For sure there are some nice bargains out there to be found but you can see the trends beginning. I had to search a three state area to find my bike, a nice unmolested original. The early models are already starting to go up in value, approaching Brit bike values.
When I had my ‘76 Bonneville T-140V,
It was the affordable version of the classic Triumph. The earlier pre unit models were the real collectible models. But now as the pool dries up, my old Bonnie has become quite valuable. So I’m curious, do you see that happening to our Yamaha’s as well?
Or do you think I am full of hot air?

Interesting question Bob. As you know I'm newly back in the game but have never come across another XS650 on the road except at a show and even then it's only a handful. Have seen and talked to some other 80's vintage owners on the road but the only other 70's era bikes I've seen are Brit bikes.

Most of the bikes on the road around here are Harley's, tons of them, but I must say their owners always come over to chat about and appreciate a 'vintage' bike.

I had a 70’s era BMW , and they are just so solidly built that there are a lot of survivors out there. When I have attended vintage bike gatherings the largest turnouts have been BMW’s . However having said that, it seems the chop ‘em up crowd has seemed to discovered how mechanically interesting the old airhead’s are and are chopping them up at an alarming rate. I am a purist and I hate to see history lost to fashion. That may not be hip, but as they say, it’s
only original once. :(

I don't know much about BMW's but something about chopping them up just seems wrong.
They have a classic look all of their own. IMHO.

As a former /2 and /7 owner I agree. Now upgrades that don't alter the frame, OK.

I very rarely see an XS650 standard around the Portland metro area. Not even one this year. Still some Specials on the road, but most are quite altered with new lights, seats, exhaust , bars and such. Beyond that they get really cut and modified. Some are quite nice, some are trashy.. Was nicely surprised when a neighbor, (Im the new neighbor here) rolled out a Beautiful 68 BSA 650 lightning last weekend. It actually idled perfectly and he rode off loudly ! Was fun.. Sadly the cut up crews have discovered the Airheads here too ..

Thats also my hunch, that the XS's they are dwindling a bit.
But then , a local guy puts 4 up for sale.
There are always 2 on Craigs, but sad looking XS's usually.
A couple years ago at this site I put out a call for local riders, and 7 or 8 came out of the woodwork, as I recall.
Yesterday, I looked up from the John Deere, and caught a stock 1975 just like mine flying by.

Nice.. stock... difficult to locate.... I'm sure the " barn find " will occur... but it is getting harder to find a nice one. Even Specials that usually didn't get a lot of attention have started to rise in price. The current Bobber, Cafe' scene and Choppers has a affect in numbers also.
Back in the day Triumphs and other Brits were plentiful.. but again the same path.. Bobber.. etc etc... also..many have been bought up by overseas buyers. We have a local cycle bone yard.. years ago deep pockets from across the pond bought everything.. British.. last summer.. again overseas deep pockets bought every rolling Xs650 and Cb450 Honda.
I've been to swap meets in Daytona (several), Davenport, Mid Ohio, Penn., and regional.. and I found all had little or nothing in the way of XS bits.

If you ever follow Ebay UK then you will see a significant number of XS650 US models being imported to the UK. Maybe there are no early Triumphs available so the Brits are bringing back the next best thing???

I came across my original 1976 XS650 recently on YouTube. I traded that bike in to a local Arizona dealer back in '78 for a new 750. The bike was very unique in that it had factory optional star shaped mag wheels a two into one header and a rear brake conversion. I'm certain it was my old bike. The video appeared to be an British auction house, it was posted about three and a half years ago.

That rotating platform and the little piece under the front wheel appears in Ebay UK adverts quite frequently with imported XS bikes. I believe I bought my XS foot brake pedal from them.

We have shipped several XS units.. mostly to Finland, one to France, and one to Switzerland. Most where restored 70'-72' models.. others rolling units for restoration.
Brit bikes are cheaper here then the Uk or " down under ". Many of them find themselves on the wrong side of the road after being sold on ebay. :) I'll assume that Xs units are still cheap here and even after overseas shipping still a bargain for that market. Our local shipper usually waits until the shipper container is full..it cost the same full or not.

I see a lot of XS650 bobbers and ridged framed monstrosities. An xs650 engine in a Royal Enfield frame. At least it was well done and not a botched/hack job. Not often do I see a stock or restored.

If you ever follow Ebay UK then you will see a significant number of XS650 US models being imported to the UK. Maybe there are no early Triumphs available so the Brits are bringing back the next best thing???
I don't see the XS650 as the next best thing............................I see the XS650 as the best thing, and the UK lads want the best.

I don't see the XS650 as the next best thing............................I see the XS650 as the best thing, and the UK lads want the best.
Hi retgent,
dunno about the best.
As an ex-Brit and former Britbike owner my take is that the UK lads are more about handling than about engines.
And while it's hats off to the XS650's engine, it's handling is nowhere as good as that of a 1960s/70s swingarm frame Britbike.
Of course, my XS650 handles way better than my plunger frame BSA did but hey, what doesn't?
And back then nobody had good brakes anyway, eh?
I'd say if you want the best possible 650cc vertical twin you gotta build it yourself:-
XS650 power unit, Norton featherbed frame, Italian hydraulic brakes and a headlight that's good enough to see with should do it.

I have a couple of Brit's.. and they handle well.. and if property sorted they'll get you to point A and back. My wife and took our 65' Tiger out to the Black Hills.. spent a week running around two up..no issues. The early XS units had a built in frame hinge between the carbs and seat..or at least is seemed like it. Handling and braking was not very good.The Xs1 engine easily out preformed the frame and drums brakes.
In time they beef'd the frame and made other improvements. My 82' Special does well.. as long as it reminds vertical. Lazy cornering..ok.. aggressive cornering ... not ok.
But..overall.. it's get'n more difficult to find decent restorable units. I see more bobbers, choppers, Trackers and Cafe's XS units then stock unmolested units.

Guess you got the clutch and the center stand fasteners on that Tiger straightened out, Mike. Congrats.

Sure, with the stock suspension the XS650 handles poorly. It takes time and money, but if you know what you're doing (a very big if in most cases) you can make the old machine dance without surgery.

Yeah, Marty, we're getting old, and the older I get the slower I get. My bike is lazy in the corners now, and I'm the reason. At some point in the next 5 years it'll be time to hang up the helmet.

The $%$#$ center stand boo boo was on the MO trip with the old 650 Society director .. Don Lawson.. and Ill assume you are the fellow who accompanied us.
I never put the side stand on because.. I had a center stand.. then the bolt fell out... now..I have to park it against a wall.. a tree... I recall it was a long day... visited Civil war sites and a great general store. The pace was fast and I was concerned the old Tiger may not make the complete ride with both me and the wife... but.. it did well.
Once home I got the bolt locally.. a special shoulder'd bolt with a price tied to the gold standard. Grrrrrr.....

Back