Aseembling Engine, Question about O-Rings

Ketis

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was about to assemble my freshly honed cylinders last night and when I went to install my new O-rings for the sleeves and I wasn't quite sure which way was correct.

The old ones were pushed down into the gap like the first image, but when I try to do that it bunches up in the front.

The other option is to just let them rest and NOT push them in the gap.

Do I need to keep finagling it into the gap, or is the 2nd picture the way it should be.

Attachments

• 20140307_075129.jpg
    20140307_075129.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 20140307_075135.jpg
    20140307_075135.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 248
I don't know the answer to this but was wondering the same when i put my engine together. The old ones were down in the groove so that's where i put mine. Not quite as bunched up as yours, kinda even them around all the way. I guess the 2nd option would work with the pressure of torquing the top end down but i didn't want to take the chance cause you don't know what it's going to do.
Nobody answered my question when i asked it. Hope someone can help you out with the right answer.

I just pushed the o-rings like the second pic and let nature/physics take it from there. Seems to work OK for me.

Here's a large o-ring install trick. Don't start in one spot and work around, push in a bit of the o-ring go to the other side and push in a bit, then go 90 degrees, repeat, repeat on the opposite side of that, push the o-ring in between those spots and you won't end up with too much o-ring all in one place. I learned this putting in my nice fat valve cover o-rings.

I did the same as Gary, don't know if it worked as I haven't run mine yet! But my OG's were in the groove as well..........

When an engine heats up, the fit of sleeve to cyl block loosens, even enough to slide out, as in sleeve replacement. The o-ring is supposed to prevent engine oil from wicking up between sleeve and cyl-block, maintaining heat transfer and preventing 'fretting', which is the inner wear of the cyl-block which reduces the interference fit 'grip'.

Disclaimer: This was a '60s-'70s Honda tech canned response. Modern methods and manufacturing may have made this moot. I've seen Loctite's sleeve grip compound, but never used it. Back then, when I bored cyl blocks for oversize sleeves, I used a little extra interference fit to ensure sleeve/cyl-block fit at temperature and heat transfer...

Here's a large o-ring install trick. Don't start in one spot and work around, push in a bit of the o-ring go to the other side and push in a bit, then go 90 degrees, repeat, repeat on the opposite side of that, push the o-ring in between those spots and you won't end up with too much o-ring all in one place. I learned this putting in my nice fat valve cover o-rings.

Thanks gggGary! that method worked perfectly!

Back