attn: gurus/deglazing

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
Im hoping some long time forum members can help me out here.
Ive got a 2003 suzi maruder, debaffled stock pipes, unifoam air filters, and am a member of marauder intruder group. great bunch of helpful guys, but.....
anyways, while trying to clearup a stumbling issue in high rpms, WOT. these guys kept saying up the MJ"s stock is 90/100. But since i have done a gut job on the pipes and no airboxes, Ive upped the pilots, resynced the carbs, rollon is super smooth, and pulls like mule, until WOT in high rpms. they kept telling me to start at 152.5/162.5(10 point difference between two carbs) and it kept stumbling. i went as far as 155/165, and still it stumbles. pulling out the chock(enrichener like our beloved 650's)makes it worse. now, just recently a forum member is like " believe you are too rich now. ide drop back about 10 points, 140'150." wich was my thought all along, but this mod to the marauder is a common one, and there is a tried n true formula to start with then it just takes tinkering with the right jet. they pointed me in the wrong direction.
Ive been very clear in all my posts about what ive tried and what didnt work, each time,.
anyways, now that i got that outta my system, I'm wondering if i glazed my cylinders or not flooding my scoot. I just changed the oil last night, didnt smell of gas, and the oil level didnt rise. should be good im thinking.
I tried to search for xsjohns threads on running baking soda thru the cylinders to de-glaze, then break in the rings again, but couldnt find it.
now i'm worried i washed my pistons, and glazed my cylinders.
5twins, mrriggs, inxs, looking to you guys to help me out. im gonna try 140/150. in a couple days, to see if i can clear up the stumble.
hope im worrying for nothing.
Photo032012171-vi.jpg

If it's still pulling strong, not gobbling oil, and your oil didn't smell like gas you should be alright. Once you find the right mains, give it a thorough Italian Tune-Up and everything should be alright. Sometimes they just need you to beat the piss out of 'em.

10 points is a huge spread for a liquid cooled motor. It was always 1 size with Shadow 750s, like a 135 and a 137.5. Had a friend (RIP) that ran a Marauder. Tough bike.

10 points is a huge spread for a liquid cooled motor. It was always 1 size with Shadow 750s, like a 135 and a 137.5. Had a friend (RIP) that ran a Marauder. Tough bike.
sorry to hear bout your friend.
these marauders got a bad rep, because they are a small displacement v-twin, and chocked down with EPA junk. get rid of that garbage, and I can keep up with my friends rf900, but he wastes me in the corners. WHen I had k&n drop infilters in the airboxes, and gutted pipes, i had 122.5, and 132.5 mj' so I will start back there, see if it struggles, then go up from there.
i will assume a italian tune up is oil and plugs, already done.
nobody remembers xsjohn's soda deglaze?:shrug:

I have never heard of a split that far, but don't know the bikes well. Kenny's bike was modified a bit, and it ran like a raped ape.

Kenny was killed by one of those people that cannot see 2 35 watt and 1 55 watt headlamp coming down the road from the left. She (blue hair) pulled out in front of him in a 45MPH zone with about 30 feet between them. A traffic cam caught the whole thing, but guess what? No charges.
Is there a Marauder forum out there?

I don't understand how our system can stand by while 3 kids lose their father and say that the weight of what the person has done on thier mind is punishment enough? :wtf: In Guatemala (I like the place myself!) If you strike a motorcyclist, you are immediately, without benefit of court hearing, responsible for thier medical bills, thier machine, and replacing that person's income and maintaining thier family until they are healthy again. If you kill a head of household, you are financially responsible for the children until they are 21, and the widow (and in the very rare instance, widower) until they or you die. :thumbsup: Guess what, guys crash more by themselves than get run over down there, and it's a crazy scene.

What size and make are the carbs on your Marauder?

Angus, you may be emptying your float bowls, and need a bigger float valve and seat. I say that based on the roll-on being good and then going to shit on top. The enrichener would just be another spot to draw air if the bowl is empty, so that would stand to reason to make it worse. With no intake restriction, it's gonna flow HARD. If it has Mikuni carbs (My SV650 does) try the float needle and valve set for a Road Star 40 MM stock carb. It uses a fuel pump in stock trim, but people up the valve and seat and take the pump off for bigger flow, because it tends to starve if you put a Dyna 3000 on it and up the RPM by more than about 300 on top. Stock is 4250 limiter, and a 1700 is at 4750. If I remember right, your limiter is fairly high, around 8K or so. 1600 CCs at 4K rpm with a single valve VS 1/2 the displacement at twice the speed should (shithouse math here) roughly equal the same charge flow, assuming both motors are eqaually efficient at peak RPM. If you can use them big 'ol valves out of the 40 MM carb, you should neve run out of fuel in the bowl.:thumbsup:

(just pulling this out of my ass, so if ya think it stinks, that's why!):laugh:

Last edited:
Italian Tune-up: drive it like it's a Ferrari for an hour or so.

Works like a charm any time some clueless girl asks me to fix her car, they're all too nice to them.

For your rings, I doubt you've put enough fuel through the engine to hurt it. Your oil would be stinky and it would be running pretty poor. Once you get the right jets (or closer to the right jets) go give it a good thrash and it should sort out anything that came un-sorted.

I don't understand how our system can stand by while 3 kids lose their father and say that the weight of what the person has done on thier mind is punishment enough? :wtf: In Guatemala (I like the place myself!) If you strike a motorcyclist, you are immediately, without benefit of court hearing, responsible for thier medical bills, thier machine, and replacing that person's income and maintaining thier family until they are healthy again. If you kill a head of household, you are financially responsible for the children until they are 21, and the widow (and in the very rare instance, widower) until they or you die. :thumbsup: Guess what, guys crash more by themselves than get run over down there, and it's a crazy scene.

What size and make are the carbs on your Marauder?

Angus, you may be emptying your float bowls, and need a bigger float valve and seat. I say that based on the roll-on being good and then going to shit on top. The enrichener would just be another spot to draw air if the bowl is empty, so that would stand to reason to make it worse. With no intake restriction, it's gonna flow HARD. If it has Mikuni carbs (My SV650 does) try the float needle and valve set for a Road Star 40 MM stock carb. It uses a fuel pump in stock trim, but people up the valve and seat and take the pump off for bigger flow, because it tends to starve if you put a Dyna 3000 on it and up the RPM by more than about 300 on top. Stock is 4250 limiter, and a 1700 is at 4750. If I remember right, your limiter is fairly high, around 8K or so. 1600 CCs at 4K rpm with a single valve VS 1/2 the displacement at twice the speed should (shithouse math here) roughly equal the same charge flow, assuming both motors are eqaually efficient at peak RPM. If you can use them big 'ol valves out of the 40 MM carb, you should neve run out of fuel in the bowl.:thumbsup:

(just pulling this out of my ass, so if ya think it stinks, that's why!):laugh:
a guy at work had a sv650, and looked like it had the same carb on it, but the marauder has two carbs, and the front carb is near vertical, so it is a strange set up. its very simular to a carbed intruder, or volusia, same carb bodies, different guts.
My carbs now have 5DP7 adjustable needles, With maching emulsion tubes, drilled slides, floats are correct. 52.5/55 pilots, adn these carbs are clean, ernie.
and like i said, this fomula works for these bikes, the ten piont difference and all. they were either reading my oposts wrong or I posted something wrong, but either way, i shoulda stuck with my gut feeling.
thank you ,skull for the link. I m prolly just paranoid.

guesse i should have put not xs650 in the title, huh?
i just did a 4 mile blast with 142.5/132.5 mj's. night and day difference.
gto up to 80mph, still had plenty left. I may go up one step, and see if it breaks up again, if it does, i know i hit the sweet spot. feels good to feel it pull all the way thru.
sound like a whole different bike.
These carbs are just odd to work with.
If you guys are still having troubles with your bs 34's, you havent seen anything untill you mess with double push pull throttle, cables everywere, and the help ful people in the www, read your posts wrong. I know they meant well. The fatter jets seamed to work for every one else at sea level, I guesse my luck runs out at the beach.
got it now thanks guys.

If it's still pulling strong, not gobbling oil

It that a bad turkey joke? WTF is it with the turkeys?

On a serious note I have heard of using baking soda and even a little Bon-Ami down the carbs to seat the rings. I would be a little scared of the latter but I know someone who used it on an old tractor and it worked.

Ang, SV650's have Mikuni 36MM downdraft carbs. I have an '02. My diapharagm caps are damn near horizontal. Glad you got a bead on the sweet spot. Like I said, Kenny's bike was plenty quick.

was his name kenny wright?
I just searched his name, and aka bear killer came up. says he sold it. I dont think these guys know he's gone.

Ang, SV650's have Mikuni 36MM downdraft carbs. I have an '02. My diapharagm caps are damn near horizontal. Glad you got a bead on the sweet spot. Like I said, Kenny's bike was plenty quick.
oh, wait... he had a kwak 650(guy at work)

marauder has a down draft on the front, sits between the jugs, and a standard carb on the rear. was your floats plastic?mine a 03, and the front float is plastic.

Kenny would have shown being from Dallas, or close by. Passed in March of last year. Everybody called him Kenny-Bob, because he liked to do bobbers. Can't remember his last name right now to save my ass. Both my SV carbs are downdraft, and the carb faces are level, with 45 degree runners from the back of the carbs into the cylinders. Every newer bike I've worked on has plastic floats.

Pic is Kenny on his Marauder.

Attachments

• Hill Country Ride Sept 12, 13 & 14, 2009 (30).jpg
    Hill Country Ride Sept 12, 13 & 14, 2009 (30).jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 46
i dont think its the same kenny.
over there, a while ago, he worked at cruiser customizing in calif.
sorry if i dug up memories.:)

Back