AutoZone & Pep Boys loan-a-tool programs

Halloweenie

Bearded Banjo Brawler
Reaction score
I have been chasing a gremlin in my bike for the past couple of weeks, and I got it into my head that my pressure gauge may be suspect since I got it on sale. So, when I went to pick up some chemicals at AutoZone I saw a display stating that they did a loan-a-tool program. At least for the compression gauge it works like this; you pay for the tool, $40 for the gauge, and when you are done you return it for a full refund. When I got home, I tried out the gauge and it gave me readings ≈75psi. I knew something was not right, because my gauge gives me ≈150psi in both cylinders every time and the engine runs quite well. To me, the gauge felt cheap, especially compared to mine which has a relatively heavy duty hose and nice tight fittings with Teflon tape on the threads. So I went back to the store, gave them the gauge, informed them of the problem, and got my money back. After speaking to the very nice employee, he informed me that Pep Boys does a similar program. So I hopped on the bike and rode to Pep Boys. I asked them if they had a compression gauge and they did, but when they brought it out, I saw that it was the same exact brand that AutoZone has, "Great Neck OEM Tools". I declined to even deal with it because I was a bit frustrated at that point. For the mean time, I am assuming that my gauge is fairly accurate.

Does anyone else know of a company that does a loan-a-tools, but with quality instruments instead?

Back