Auxiliary gas tanks for maintenance

Well Pete. It does work nicely with the right tools, and while similar, the grain is a little ' tighter' than oak. Also bends easy after being steamed.

The one I've been using for years now, it's enough to get me around my country block. Typical state of my special tools, ugly but works good enough to avoid having to make a better/more elegant version. Some old push mower engine fuel tank on a saddle chopped off a junk XS gas tank and other crap laying around the shed.

DSCN7635.JPG

Hay Gary ! .....your not going to leave that nice bike that UGLY red are ya ???? surely even a cheap rattle can paint job would look better
for period piece ! ......after all ya can't have the wife riding around on a bike that desperately needs a paint job....she'll use it against ya for the rest of your life !!!! :laughing:
.....I can't wait to see that thing finished !
Bob........

Hay Gary ! .....your not going to leave that nice bike that UGLY red are ya ???? surely even a cheap rattle can paint job would look better
for period piece ! ......after all ya can't have the wife riding around on a bike that desperately needs a paint job....she'll use it against ya for the rest of your life !!!! :laughing:
.....I can't wait to see that thing finished !
Bob........
That is a custom rattle can job to her EXACT specs, she LOVES it! I don't have a big enough pair to argue with THAT. I like it too.
DSCN7658.JPG

Any lawn mower repair places around you? They often have old mower parts around. A gas tank from most any mower will hold enough for testing.
Leo

LOL Well I can understand that Gary ! don't look a gift horse in the mouth eh ? less work ! more riding time !
in your putt putt the other day on PP did you notice any handling problems ? she looks solid enough but a bit neglected over the years
I'ed wonder about the swing arm bushings and stearing head bearings..... best test I know of is to ride the dern thing ! HA !
..... I still want to do both on my machine but that will have to be at a later date .... we're trying to get caught up on bills right now !
...... I did wrap up a few tools in a rag and stuff them under the seat and to my suprise the seat actually went on and locked !
....I'm planning on a Jaunt this evening to give her a run and check out the handling after I lowered the tripple trees 1" and raised the rear shocks one notch.... I don't care for the shocks being so high as I am short and it makes touching the ground on uneven soil kind'a hard !
..... if I could find a way to drop that seat 3" I'ed do it ! LOL
Bob..........

Hay gggGary ! that gas tank on PP looks allot bigger than the skinny thing on mine ....do you know how much it holds ? ( i think mine holds just 2 gal. or close to that ..... that thing looks like it might hold 3 gal !!!!! ..... I gott'a get me one of those ! LOL
Bob.....

Wrenchjohns: Now that is a good Aux fuel tank ! Cheap too and CLEAN on the inside..... a major problem when using old lawnmower tanks
because you just can't get them clean once they get crap in them !
I'll have to make up one of those , thank you for the inspiration !
Bob.......

Cool! Can you tell me how you attached them?

Yes, yes they are!
Pete is there an XS650 rally coming up soon by you?

Not sure Gary - although I do plan to go to the events in Sept of this year. As for the next little while, we have daughter #2s wedding in two weeks, so I'm here till at least then....except of course for the.....upcoming SE-MI / SW-ON meet-up:
  • DATE: Sat July 15 (that's NEXT Saturday folks!!!)
  • TIME: 11:00 AM
  • LOC: Vinsetta Garage Restaurant
27799 Woodward Ave.
Berkeley, Michigan

As you may know, XS650s are preferred, but ALL bikes (and even your Moms K-car) are welcome!

Oh, he!! Gary - I think I just pulled another hijack!

Oooooppppssss! :D

Pete

Pete: 2 part epoxy. I never knew about that rally!
Bob; that is the same tank as yours, it's an 82 heritage special tank. I bondo'd over the badge mounts. and they do hold 3.5 gallons or thereabouts, most riders can get 150 miles out of them at B road speeds. Thanks for the heads up on steering and swing arm bearings, I never knew....

I have been using an old Lucas oil bottle. Rubber hose slides nicely onto the tip of the cap, drill 2 holes for a hanging wire and cut a hole in the bottle to fill it. Works great, especially when you hang it from one side of an IV pole and a manometer from the other.

I have been using an old Lucas oil bottle. Rubber hose slides nicely onto the tip of the cap, drill 2 holes for a hanging wire and cut a hole in the bottle to fill it. Works great, especially when you hang it from one side of an IV pole and a manometer from the other.

Lucas.....hmmmmmmm......does it leak?

Thx Gary!

Thanks for the heads up on steering and swing arm bearings, I never knew....
LOL Yah Right !
just Reminding you is all !...... you said yourself you were into it faster than you planned ! HEHEHEHHEH!
..... You could write a book on these beasts...... in fact you probably should ! before you get as old as me and the memory starts to fade !
I am surprised at how much better the xs650 handled the corners a bit ago ...... obviously I need to get tires if I'm going to be cornering hard
I already felt the rear slip a bit...... not a good sign ! it was a good tight corner and I was leaning a long way but only about half of the bikes potential !
...... it was a fun ride even if it was missing every once in a while !
Bob...

I use the plastic container that originally held the acid for a Yuasa battery. It holds about 1 liter and has a nipple molded on for attaching tubing. I connect it straight to the fuel line and rest it above the battery.

The one I've been using for years now, it's enough to get me around my country block. Typical state of my special tools, ugly but works good enough to avoid having to make a better/more elegant version. Some old push mower engine fuel tank on a saddle chopped off a junk XS gas tank and other crap laying around the shed.

I nominate gggGary's "Ugly but works" for the 2018 calendar...

Haha Fred that's definitely a cute little tank.

I think I got mine sorted. I picked up a new square-ish radiator overflow tank with a screw on lid on top, 1/4" nipple on the bottom, 3 mounting tabs and it's clear so it'll be easy to see how much gas is in it. It was $10 shipped on ebay. Then I ordered a 1/4" petcock for about $4.50. I already have some extra fuel line at home, so a grand total of $14.50, half the price of the nicer Motion Pro bottles on amazon. I'll post a picture once I get it all together.

On the upside, while fishing around ebay, I found out they're making counterfeit mini Nintendo Classics... those ones you couldn't find anywhere and were selling online for $250-300 and then they stopped making all together for some reason... picked one up for $38 shipped, just have to wait for it to ship for asia, but that should be fun!

Back