Aviation Oil

Mellowyellow

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever considered using any type of Aviation oils for the 650? and if so what would one recommend?

I wouldn't even if cost was no object (it is) Aviation engines are so different in design and operating conditions than motorcycles that the oil is just plain not right for a motorcycle.

I was just wondering, ive heard of areoshell 20w50 being used on old harley twins but have never seen any evidence its good or bad. As far as cost I use the stuff everyday (im a pilot) so easy to find.

- interesting question as both motors are air cooled...seems as if this is a contentious issue...read a harley thread that was rather passionate but only interesting for the flaming it generated...seems one of the biggest differences between these motors is the fuel, av gas is highly leaded, about 4x more than the old pump gas, and this causes a lot of ash depositing in an aviation motor

- i was aware that its not recommended to use automotive oils in aircraft due to the differences between detergent and AD ashless-dispersal additives

- also interesting was that Straight Grade Engine Oils...'straight mineral oils blended from selected high viscosity index base oils, not containing any additives except for very small amounts of pour point depressant (improving fluidity at very low temperatures) and an anti-oxidant...should also be used during the break-in of a new aviation piston engine or those recently overhauled'

- here

- "Straight Grade Engine Oils AeroShell Oils 65, 80, 100 and 120 are straight mineral oils blended from selected high viscosity index base oils. These oils do not contain any additives except for very small amounts of pour point depressant (which aids to improve fluidity at very low temperatures) and an anti-oxidant. AeroShell Oils 65, 80, 100 and 120 are approved for all aviation piston engines of civil aircraft when the use of an oil not containing a dispersant additive is required; however, they should also be used during the break-in of a new aviation piston engine or those recently overhauled."...aeroshell

- some interesting observations
- also here
- some FAQ
- aeroshell tech talk

Thanks for all the info Inxs very very interesting, from what I can tell it might be something to try? I have used areoshell 15W50 at extreame cold temps and there is little fluidity at cold temps (of course) and with no additives i can understand why. With the differences in fuel types may also be an issue?

What do you think inxs?

There is Phillips 20W50 multigrade non dispersant mineral base and also Phillips 20W50 multigrade ashless dispersant mineral base that is used for break-in process.

Should I try it or just go with the standard pennzoil 20w50(sl)?

- well, AD oils have recommended changing for non-filtered aviation engines at 25 hours and for filtered at 50 hours...in 50 hours at 100 kmh i can ride 5000km-i change my oil about every 2000km
- ''Keep in mind that piston driven aircraft engines operate at low rpm,typically under 4000 rpm,have low comp ratio,low power output per cu.in., and operate with very low valve spring pressure.the oil requirements would probably be lower than a race engine.Bill''
- also aircraft oils are designed to operate with large internal-external temp differentials
- i imagine that aircraft engines will typically operate at more consistant revs than motorcycles where traffic and shifting thru the fearbox will produce a range of revs
- naya, personally i think that if you get the oil cheap and regularly change it youre not likely to have problems...you could always take a sample and do an oil analysis-the result could be rather productive...this is only an opinion, not advice...an interesting question

I work on jets, and iv worked on piston aircraft, probably wouldnt bother mate, even if you pinched some, probably be worse off using it, aircraft are serviced alot more then most bikes are, better just sticking to good brand bike oils to be honest.

What is the prefered type/weight of regular oil for the 650? I keep reading about different weights, ect. and would like to know. Thanks

Airplanes dont use motorcycle oil because they dont need to shift gears. I don't run aviation oil in my motorcycles because I don't want them to fly. :laugh:

Any good motorcycle specific oil of 20w50 works.
I use Valvoline. Get it at the parts store.
If you want to try other oils look at the back of the jug. If it has a JASO MA rating listed that means it works ok with wet clutches.

Back